The PoE (Power over Ethernet) presents tons of benefits compared to the standard power supply setup. One of the key benefits is that an Ethernet cable can easily run it to a specific location and keep it plugged into an access point that provides the power and data it requires. It leads to a quick and easy setup because it removes the need for extra power lines. To explore the benefits of PoE, you must have a great PoE access point. So, if you want to get one of the best PoE access points in 2022-2023, the following review highlights some of the best ones along with a section on how to choose them.
List of The Best PoE Access Points
How To Pick The Best PoE Access Points?
When you decide to pick up the best PoE Access Points, you can consider the following factors to simplify the buying decision.
1. Wireless standards
If you are looking for a performance-efficient PoE access point that can provide broad wireless coverage then you need to focus on the wireless standards it support. The more wireless standards it supports, the better would be the overall performance. Many of the best PoE access points support multiple wireless standards like 802.11a/b/g/n/ac.
2. Dual band
It is always better to buy a PoE access point that can support dual-band wireless coverage. The support for dual-band lets the access point connect plenty of devices in a network. Moreover, some of the best PoE access points can provide dual-band Wi-Fi speeds up to 1350 Mbps to multiple devices concurrently. The dual-band support reduces the chances of interference.
3. USB ports
When it comes to external storage, it is better to buy a PoE access point that comes with a USB port. It is recommended to buy one with one or two USB ports that allow you to connect the hard drive or printer.
4. Operation modes
Many of the topmost PoE access points come with 4 in 1 multi-mode support. Such access points can support Multi-SSID, Client, Range Extender, and AP operation modes. Therefore, it is allowed to enable different wireless applications to serve users with a more dynamic and all-inclusive experience when using an AP.
Check out the thorough reviews of the best PoE access point in 2022-2023 below.
Benefit from superior wireless speeds with MU-MIMO technology and other advanced features of this TP-Link EAP225 V3 access point. It is one of the best PoE access points on our list because it is an efficient business WiFi solution with mesh support. The latest 802.11ac Wave 2 MU-MIMO technology and seamless roaming are two of its key characteristics. What makes it stand out is that it can deliver dual-band Wi-Fi speeds reaching up to 1350 Mbps to multiple devices concurrently.
The advanced wireless technology lets this access point support seamless routing, Mesh WiFi, Airtime Fairness, Band Steering, and Beamforming technologies. EAP225 V3 supports both Passive PoE and802.3af/at PoE power supply. It can be either powered through a PoE switch or the included PoE adapter. So, the deployment becomes easy and flexible. The pack includes accessories like an installation guide, a power adapter, and mounting kits.
- Wireless standards supported are 802.11n, 802.11b, and 802.11g.
- Omada app and Remote Cloud access offer centralized cloud management of the entire network from various sites. All these sites are controlled from one interface anytime, anywhere.
- Omada’s SDN (Software Defined Networking) platform integrates network devices like switches, access points, and gateways with multiple control options. These options are Omada Software Controller, Omada Hardware controller, and Omada cloud-based controller.
- The self-healing feature works such that if one link detects an issue, the system will automatically reroute the data through other Omada devices. Hence, it makes sure the user stays online.
- Dimensions and weight: 8.09 x 7.15 x 1.47 inches; 1.1 pounds.
Pros And Cons
Netgear WAC510 conveys efficient wireless performance with huge client density for enterprises that demand reliable and omnipresent wireless coverage for their business applications. This NETGEAR access point has an option to configure as access point modes or NAT. It is equipped with two Ethernet ports incorporating a Power-over-Ethernet (PoE) 1Gb port.
The access point is managed by the NETGEAR Insight app that provides innovative and intuitive support. No need for additional management hardware. The flexible mounting options offer ease of installation on a wall or ceiling. Accessories packed in are an Ethernet cable, an installation guide, and a warranty/support information card.
- The wireless standards it supports are 802.11a, 802.11b, 802.11g, 802.11n, and 802.11ac.
- The combination of dual-band AC1300 speed and MU-MIMO technology allow this access point to support up to 200 client devices.
- The extra 1 Gigabit port allows you to plug in a printer or storage device or nearby wired devices for maximum speed.
- Additional features are band steering, load balancing, and assisted roaming.
- For local and remote management, this access point contains a 1-year free insight subscription to the Insight app to remotely manage from anywhere. No extra hardware or cloud key is needed.
- Dimensions and weight: 7.75 x 1.45 x 7.75 inches; 1.22 pounds.
Pros And Cons
The Ubiquiti UniFi nanoHD is a dual-band access point implemented with Four-Stream 802.11ac Wave 2 and 4×4 MU-MIMO technologies. One of its most outstanding aspects is it comes with an aggregate radio rate of more than 2Gbps. The support for this fast speed suggests that this Ubiquiti AP is one of the best PoE access points. Moreover, it supports more than 200 concurrent users.
Designed to explore the benefits of 802.11ac Wave 2, this nanoHD enterprise access point offers efficient multi-user support in a sleek, nano-sized design. You can set up the Unifi nanoHD AP in high-density environments that need minimal footprint and maximum wireless performance. The Unifi nanoHD AP also comes with 802.3af PoE compatibility. You can power this AP via an 802.3af PoE compliant switch.
- The wireless standard it supports is 802.11ac.
- The 5 GHz band supports 4×4 multi-user MIMO with a radio rate of 1.733 Gbps.
- The 2.4 GHz band supports 2×2 MIMO with a radio rate of 300 Mbps.
- The built-in UniFi network controller offers powerful and intuitive configuration, monitoring, and control.
- Dimensions and weight: 6.3 x 6.3 x 1.3 inches; 1.5 pounds.
Pros And Cons
Meraki GR10-HW-US access point is an indoor managed-based WiFi solution that is exclusively designed keeping in mind, small business owners. It contributes to a boost in customer engagement and business productivity. Throughout its operation, it uses fewer resources and time. To streamline business operations, this access point allows the creation of Guest WiFi through a tap. It also allows creating a custom splash page within seconds. Businesses can also use guest insights to effectively engage with customers.
Meraki Go mobile app offers ease of setup and management from anywhere. So, you can effortlessly add multiple admins to manage your network equipment. Moreover, this app guarantees peace of mind with troubleshooting tools, remote visibility, and alerts. Along with the purchase of this access point, you get access to automatic updates and tech support from Cisco. The pack includes accessories like a mounting kit, PSU, quick-start guide, and Ethernet cables.
- It is implemented with the 802.11ac Wave 2 and 2×2 MU-MIMO technologies.
- The dual bands are 2.4 GHz 802.11b/g/n and 5 GHz 802.11a/n/ac.
- The implemented features for small businesses are Network Health View, Guest Insights, Custom Splash Pages, bandwidth prioritization or limit usage, block websites or devices, and remote visibility at all times.
- Dimensions and weight: 4.8 x 8 x 1 inches; 1.9 pounds.
Pros And Cons
The enhanced speed and user capacity are critical for schools, large offices, and other commercial places. To fulfill these needs, you can consider the EnGenius EWS360AP which is one of the best PoE access points on this list. It supports guest Wi-Fi which leverages increased throughput and performance. Therefore, this EnGenius access point can support the latest 802.11ac mobile devices. It can be operated as a standalone AP or a segment of a scalable Neutron network management solution.
Even users with limited network experience can easily deploy and use this access point. The highly scalable, flexible, and fully integrated solution provides streamlined configuration and management with benefits like business-class performance, efficient Managed Access Points, ezMaster Centralized Network Management, and WLAN Controller Switches. Along with the purchase, you get a power adapter, an RJ-45 Ethernet cable, and a mounting kit set.
- WiFi 802.11AC speeds are up to 1,300 Mbps on the 5 GHz band and 450 Mbps on the 2.4 GHz band.
- This access point conveys 3 x 3 MIMO Additional spatial stream on 2×2 devices for extra bandwidth and performance.
- The maximum transmits power is up to 28 dBm.
- The 802.3at PoE+ Gigabit port offers flexible deployment and power. So, it is easy to mount on a wall or ceiling.
- The y Band Steering transfers dual-band Clients to 5 GHz to improve throughput.
- The video capture format is AVI.
- Dimensions and weight: 6.5 x 6.5 x 1.64 inches; 12.8 ounces.
Pros And Cons
Equipped with the cutting-edge 802.11ac Wave 2 MU-MIMO technology, the TP-Link AC1200 access point provides dual-band Wi-Fi speeds reaching up to 1200Mbps to multiple devices simultaneously.
All four external antennas are implemented with Beamforming technology. This technology focuses Wi-Fi signals on your devices to expand reliable Wi-Fi to all corners of a home or office. Also, it comes with a Power over Ethernet (PoE) port allowing your Ethernet cable to transport electrical power and data concurrently. So, the deployment turns out to be easy and flexible. And the package includes a passive PoE injector.
- Supported wireless standards are 802.11a, 802.11ac, 802.11g, 802.11n, and 802.11b.
- The 4-in-1 Multi-Mode lets this access point support Multi-SSD, Client, AP operation modes, and Range Extender. So, different wireless applications provide users with a more dynamic and all-encompassing experience.
- The Captive Portal offers devices with an intuitive authentication interface. This interface provides WiFi access and an exceptional marketing prospect for small business to endorse their brand.
- Multi-SSID Mode lets this access point simultaneously support up to four individual SSIDs and VLANs. So, this access point is an ideal choice for offices where various departments work on the same WiFi network.
- Dimensions and weight: 8.86 x 5.73 x 1.46 inches; 10.6 ounces.
Pros And Cons
This JOOWIN AC1200 wireless access point can also be known as outdoor WiFi extender and WiFi booster. It is a PoE-powered dual-band wireless AP that can support up to 64 devices. It can deliver up to 1200 Mbps wireless speed. The frequency bands of 2.4 GHz and 5.8 GHz are combined into a common SSID. Also, this access point intelligently chooses frequency bands with less interference and higher speed for users. So, it serves you with a quick, widespread, and steady outdoor wireless network.
In addition to core technical features, this access point is IP66 rated weatherproof. This is one of the reasons why it is considered as one of the best PoE access points. It comes with a unique waterproof interface, cylindrical waterproof body, and waterproof rubber plug. This kind of body structure avoids the impact of bad weather like rain, frost, wind, and snow. So, safe and stable operation is ensured even in bad weather conditions. The list of accessories packed in is a POE power adapter, a product manual, a network cable, metal cable ties, and two screw fittings.
- The wireless connectivity speed on the 2.4 GHz band is 300 Mbps. This band provides enhanced wall penetration and diffraction abilities which are suitable for environments with obstacles.
- The wireless connectivity speed on 5.8 GHz is 867 Mbps. This band provides improved speed and anti-interference ability which are suitable for long-distance communication in an open environment.
- MT7628DAN + MT7612E Chip is included.
- The RAM size is 64 MB and the flash memory capacity is 8 MB.
Pros And Cons
This Ubiquiti Networks dual-band access point can support wireless speeds up to 867 Mbps. It is implemented with 2×2 MIMO technology, and capable to provide connectivity for up to 100 devices. In addition, it comes in a simple design that makes it easy to install.
- The connectivity technologies implemented are Ethernet and Wi-Fi.
- The supported wireless standard is 802.11a.
- The implemented security protocol is WPS.
- The data transfer rate is up to 1167 Mbps.
- Dimensions and weight: 1.34 x 1.81 x 13.94 inches; 5.4 ounces.
Pros And Cons
This MikroTik HAP AC2 is a dual-concurrent AP that offers Wi-Fi coverage for 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz frequencies simultaneously. It is equipped with five 10/100/1000 Ethernet ports that convey Gigabit connections for wired devices. You can use the USB connectivity for a 4G/LTE modem or external storage.
- The supported wireless standards are 802.11n, 802.11b, and 802.11g.
- The LAN port bandwidth is 10/100/1000 Mbps.
- The total number of ports is 5.
- The RAM size is 128 MB.
- The CPU core count is 4.
- Dimensions and weight: 1.34 x 4.69 x 3.86 inches; 10.6 ounces.
Pros And Cons
This Netgear AX1800 outdoor wireless access point is designed to serve small and medium-sized businesses with enhanced coverage, ease of management, ease of installation, and connection capacity. It allows you to connect up to a 2.5G Ethernet switch for supreme speed.
With the support for multiple SSIDs, this WAX610Y access point allows the setup of up to 8 individual and secure wireless networks. Therefore, it allows easy management of device access for groups of smart devices, employees, guests, and more. A wall/ceiling mount kit, an installation guide, and a pole mount kit are included in the pack.
- The combination of WiFi 6 dual-band AX1800 speed and MU-MIMO technology supports up to 200 client devices across 2,500 sq. ft. of coverage.
- Extra features include support for up to 8 SSIDs, MU-MIMO, WPA3, Band steering, Load balancing, and Assisted roaming.
- Dimensions and weight: 12.87 x 7.48 x 4.02 inches; 2.75 pounds.
Pros And Cons
FAQs When Picking The Best PoE Access Points
1. What is the benefit of Power Over Ethernet?
The following list highlights its benefits.
- Convenient data and power delivery over Cat5 and Cat6 Ethernet cables
- Can transmit data at approx. 1 Gbps with Cat5 and Cat6 Ethernet cables
- The latest IEEE 802.3bz standard delivers speed in a range of 2.5 to 5 Gbps across 100 meters of range
- Protects the network tool against electrical overload, underpowering, and inappropriate installation
- Installation and distribution of network connections are quick and easy with ease of disabling and resetting devices
2. Are the PoE Access Points reliable?
PoE power originates from a central and universally compatible source, instead of a collection of distributed wall adapters. Furthermore, it could be backed up by an uninterruptible power supply or could be controlled to easily reset or disable devices.
3. Can a Passive PoE AP be powered up by a standard PoE power source device?
Passive PoE is a completely unique power supply technique to standard PoE. It requires a passive PoE adapter or injector that would not negotiate with PD but simply deliver power at all times. Note that a passive PoE adapter or injector can supply a stable DC power like 9V/12V/24V for an access point. Thus, passive PoE PD can’t be powered up via a standard PoE PSE. However, it must be powered up with the appropriate Passive PoE adapter or injector.
The PoE access points are implemented with Power over Ethernet technology that can power up the device via the Ethernet cables. In addition to delivering data and power at fast speeds, the best PoE access points come with advanced security features to protect the network.