The cutting-edge networking technology pulls back on the restraint a bit with the inception of intermediate speed Ethernet. The same is specifically designed to handle data transfer speeds of more than 1 Gbps and less than 10gbps. Before some time, the push to standardize 2.5 and 5 Gigabit Ethernet began. The same also gave rise to the high-end multi-gigabit Ethernet switches that are nearly ready to hit the market. The 2.5GB switches are reasonably priced and provide outstanding data transfer speeds. Most of them operate quietly and present a plug and play solution to homes and offices. Herein, we will take an in-depth look at details of various 2.5 gigabit switches, so you can choose the best 2.5GB switch in 2023 meeting your needs.
List of The Best 2.5GB Switch
Check out the thorough reviews of the best 2.5GB switch in 2023 below.
Do you want to upgrade the performance of your existing network? If yes then you can set up this unmanaged best 2.5GB switch on this list. It fully explores the benefits of 2.5GbE-enabled devices as well. No new network cables are needed. Due to plug & play setup and a near-silent fanless design, the QSW-1105-5T switch offers functions like network loop detection and blocking. Whenever you want to set up a reliable high-speed network environment in your home or office, at a reasonable price, you can set up this 5-port 2.5gb switch.
The process of transferring huge files between the systems can surpass 250-270MB/s constantly, and reach up to 280 Mbps. It is essentially 2.5 times faster than the previous 1 gigabit connection. Within a minute, it can transfer a 15 GB file in a minute. This aspect denotes a huge networking quality-of-life improvement.
The wide bandwidth it offers can be utilized by a single spinning drive within a NAS. So, this switch lets you use a spinning NAS disk in the way it was installed on a computer. There is no compromise in read and write speed. Furthermore, the exceptional ventilated construction aids in cooling and also maintains high performance.
- Five 2.5GbE ports are available in this unmanaged switch.
- The auto-negotiation function optimizes performance and transfer speeds for each connected device.
- All five 2.5GbE ports support existing devices. Also, they are ready for next-generation 2.5GbE devices.
- With this switch, the home or office users obtain an easy plug & play solution that facilitates smooth and fast productivity and entertainment.
- The network loop detection works in a way that if a network loop is recognized, the switch automatically locks the looped ports. So, it makes sure the network environment rapidly resumes normal operation.
Pros And Cons
This 8-port multi-gigabit unmanaged network switch comes with 2.5G bandwidth. It works as the finest option to provide the full bandwidth potential of WiFi 6 access points through 2.5G wired connections. Moreover, this switch can also work as an Ethernet splitter. With the setup of this switch, you can relish buffer-free multi-channel 4K videos with other people for maximum entertainment.
Compared to standard Cat5e Ethernet cables, the speed from this TP-Link switch is 2.5 times faster. No need to upgrade to the Cat6 writing. So, wiring expenses are reduced. Hassle-free cabling immediately upgrades your network to 2.5 Gbps performance.
The plug & play design simplifies the setup. No need for hiring an IT professional. To flawlessly work in varied environments, this switch is covered in a well-built metal case. This durable metal case fully protects it. Depending on your needs, you can mount this switch on a desktop or wall. The fanless metal design suggests quiet operation. Limited lifetime protection from TP-Link is available.
- Eight 2.5 Gbps ports provide super-fast connections explore the maximum performance through Multi-Gig bandwidth.
- The maximum switching capacity is up to 40 Gbps.
- Every included port is equipped with the auto-negotiation feature that detects the link speed of a network. Subsequently, it smartly adjusts to one of the 3 speeds (100Mb/ 1G/ 2.5G) to make sure the output delivers the best performance and compatibility for all your devices.
- Names of some of the devices it is compatible with are 2.5G NAS, 2.5G WiFi 6 AP, 2.5G Server, 2.5G PCIe Adapter, gaming computers, and more.
- IEEE 802.3X flow offers reliable data transfer.
- This switch instantly backs up and stores the computer files into NAS storage with improved transfer speeds.
- The LAN connectivity speed is fast and latency is low.
- Gaming traffic is prioritized with QoS.
Pros And Cons
If you are looking for a reliable 2.5 Gb switch with excellent switching capacity then you can go for this TRENDnet switch. It is the best 2.5GB switch on this list in terms of switching capacity, reduced power consumption, and ease of mounting. Being backward compatible with 10/100/1000 Mbps devices. The entire operation is quiet due to the fanless design. The fanless design leads to reduced energy consumption expenses.
The wall-mountable design and metal housing offer excellent installation flexibility. The included 2.5GBASE-T RJ-45 ports offer higher gigabit speeds that are competent of speeds up to 2.5 Gbps compared to existing Cat5e cabling.
Due to the use of quality material and metal chassis, the durability is excellent. Ventilation slots are available on the sides. It is best to mount this switch sideways on a wall for efficient cooling. You can mount this switch horizontally o a desktop. During the operation, it may get warm slightly.
If you have upgraded your servers and core to 10 GB, connecting this switch allows support for newer devices. This implies that you require a 2.5 GB capable switch in a home office that allows a workstation to function at 2.5 GB speed. The installation process is always flawless in your network setup.
- The switching capacity is up to 25 Gbps.
- All the five 2.5GBASE-T ports support speeds like 100 Mbps/1 Gbps/ 2.5 Gbps.
- LED indicators precisely indicate the working status of the switch.
- The fanless design eliminates distracting operating noise.
- This unmanaged switch is IEEE 802.3bz (2.5G) compliant.
- TRENDnet Lifetime Manufacturer Protection is included.
Pros And Cons
Occasionally, the need may arise to connect up to 8 devices at once, in your network. In this case, you can use the TL-SG3210XHP-M2 switch. It is an 8-port multi-gigabit L2+ managed PoE switch. Its power rating is 240W and two 10G SFP+ slots are available. The 2.5 G bandwidth facilitates fast data transfer. Due to wide bandwidth, there will not be any congestion issues.
One of the unique aspects of this 8-port switch is it supports cloud access. Remote cloud access helps you to effectively and quickly access your data, irrespective of the location. Moreover, the Omada app sets up centralized cloud management of the entire network. This is made possible from various locations that are being controlled from a single interface. This thing takes place anytime, anywhere.
The interface is intuitive and user-friendly. Moreover, the online documentation is sufficient for somebody willing to understand all the fundamental concepts related to this switch. It helps to use and set up this switch quite easily. The SFP ports are decent addition. Standalone mode is available.
TP-Link equipped this switch with the Limited Lifetime Warranty. Free 24/7 technical support is available.
- All the 8 ports support 2.5 Gbps speed for super-fast connections. These ports unlock the supreme performance through multi-gig bandwidth.
- Two 10 Gbps SFP+ slots are available and they support 10G lightning-fast uplink speed. These ports enable non-blocking switching capacity and high-bandwidth connectivity.
- There are eight PoE+(802.3at/af) RJ45 ports available. They support three speeds i.e. 10/100/1000 Mbps. These ports deliver up to 30W power per port.
- The total PoE budget is 240W.
- This switch is specially integrated inside Omada SDN (Software Defined Networking) platform. This platform integrates network devices like access points, switches, and gateways with multiple control options being offered. These control options are Omada Software Controller, Omada Hardware controller, and Omada Cloud-based controller.
- List of advanced security features includes IP-MAC-Port binding, 802.1Q VLAN, Port Security, ACL, Storm control, DHCP Snooping, DoS defend, 802.1X radius authentication, etc.
- L2+ feature -Static Routing routes internal traffic for more competent usage of network resources.
- IPv6 protocol is supported.
Pros And Cons
It may be challenging and time-consuming to find out a network switch with a very high switching capacity. When it comes to exceptional switching capacity, the TEG-S380 is the best 2.5GB switch for your needs. This is because it provides up to 40 Gbps switching capacity. Moreover, it is backward compatible with 10/100/1000 Mbps devices. All the TRENDnet’s 2.5G switches including his one serve cost-effective solutions to enhance your network’s throughput.
The design of this unmanaged switch showcases a durable metal housing along with a wall-mountable design. This design benefits you with great installation flexibility. To maintain the stability of this switch, the manufacturer equipped it with a single-side adhesive pad made from rubber. It prevents sliding off. So, you can easily mount the switch on a rack or wall. Bright LED indicators accurately indicate the working status. TRENDnet lifetime manufacturer protection is included.
- All the eight x 2.5GBASE-T ports support any of the three speeds – 100Mbps/1 Gbps/ 2.5 Gbps.
- The 2.5GBASE-T RJ-45 ports offer faster gigabit speeds that are capable of up to 2.5 Gbps on existing Cat5e cabling.
- The fanless design keeps energy consumption under check and also discards annoying operating noise.
- The switch is IEEE 802.3bz (2.5G) Compliant.
- Linux to Linux transfers (SFTP, SCP, and RSYNC) are supported.
Pros And Cons
For home entertainment or SOHO network, this Zyxel 8 port 2.5G switch is one of the best 2.5 GB switches. It supports 2.5GbE Multi-Gig (100 Mbps/1 Gbps/2.5 Gbps) on every port for supporting the 2.5G network devices like gaming PC, PCIe adapters, NAS, servers, WiFi 6 AP, etc.
What makes it exceptional is that it can immediately upgrade any home or office network speed to 2.5G without additional cabling cost. It offers 2.5 times faster speed than today’s Gigabit connection and high switching capacity. Thus, this switch works perfectly for 4K videos, home entrainment, hosting a LAN party, or connecting SOHO PRO users.
If you want to upgrade your network performance and speed, Zyxel MG-108 is the perfect candidate. This switch can flawlessly handle up to 8 users. The ability to handle outstanding network speed upgrades transforms this MG-108 switch into an optimal solution for homes or small office users. Thus, such users can fulfill their needs for more bandwidth for online gaming, fast wireless network connectivity, and multimedia streaming services. No need to do complex configuration which ultimately saves you time and effort.
- 8 Multi-Gigabit ports support up to 2.5 Gigabit (100M/1G/2.5G).
- The Multi-Gigabit RJ-45 ports offer more speed options but can boost your home networking speed from 1 Gbps to 2.5 Gbps without extra cabling cost.
- Flexible mounting choices to place the 2.5G switch in your environment.
- Dimensions and weight: 10.2 x 5.3 x 3.2 inches; 2.15 pounds.
Pros And Cons
With superb functionality and high performance, this QNAP 6 port unmanaged network switch is one of the best 2.5GB switches. This plug and play switch is the perfect choice for setting up a cost-effective high-speed network environment in a home or workplace. Its 2-port 10GbE SFP+ and 4-port 2.5GbE RJ45 let you upgrade your network environment. This is made possible by connecting a broad range of devices with varied bandwidth requirements.
Being IEEE 802.3az (Energy Efficient Ethernet, EEE) compliant and boasting a near-silent fanless design (with ventilated construction), this QNAP switch works quietly. Moreover, the power usage stays in control. The included mounting hardware helps you to mount on a wall. With the included rubber feet, you can instantly secure it flat on a desktop.
- The deployment is flexible with two 10GbE SFP+ (10G/1G) ports and four 2.5GbE RJ45 ports (2.5 Gbps/1 Gbps/100 Mbps).
- The high-speed 2.5GbE connectivity offers instant and significant improvements compared to standard 1GbE connectivity.
- Automatic loop detection and blocking guarantee constant network operation.
- Auto-negotiation guarantees optimal performance when you connect a network device.
- The operation modes are ON, NONE, and OFF.
- The operating voltage is 12V (AC) and the current rating is 1A.
- The contact type is Normally Open.
- The connector type is Plug In and the contact material is Alloy Steel.
- This switch supports IP00 International Protection Rating.
- Dimensions and weight: 1 x 8 x 6 inches; 2.24 pounds.
Pros And Cons
TRENDnet TEG-S762 model is famous for providing reliability, ease of use, and advanced high bandwidth performance. With the fanless design and a sturdy compact metal housing, this 10GbE & 2.5GbE switch works as a cost-effective switch solution for supporting high-speed 10 Gigabit network connections.
6 RJ45 ports are included and they run from 2.5Gbps to 10Gbps. You can use it with Cat 5e cable and it operates fine at 10Gbps. Moreover, this TRENDnet switch enables the configuration of many settings and VLAN setups. The price is feasible for a managed switch. This switch is wall mountable and also suitable for desktop installations. A quick installation guide and a power adapter (12V, 1A) are included in the pack.
- The device interface shows four 2.5G RJ-45 ports and two 10G RJ-45 ports.
- Two 10G ports support high-speed network connections for offering a cost-effective solution in incorporating 10G link capability.
- The switching capacity is up to 60 Gbps.
- Lifetime TRENDnet protection is available.
- Dimensions and weight: 7 x 5.7 x 1.3 inches; 2.42 pounds.
Pros And Cons
Five Realtek 2.5GbE controllers in this Asustor switch offer 25 Gbps total performance. This is one of the reasons why it can be one of the best 2.5GB switches. It uses standard 8p8c Ethernet ports (also known as RJ-45 ports) for the hassle-free majority of consumer devices available today. Moreover, it is compatible with Cat 5e cables.
It can double the network performance by combining with a USB adapter and a 2.5GbE NAS. Instead of using an old switch, you can use this switch to expand your Gigabit Ethernet network. Consequently, you can connect to a wide range of 2.5GbE-enabled devices to experience a faster connectivity experience. Furthermore, this switch is compatible with older devices. The Plug and Play setup suggests that it doesn’t need software to install or configure. With the efficient heatsinks and conductive metal body, the heat dissipation is efficient.
- The connectivity speed is 2.5 Gbps/1 Gbps/ 100Mbps.
- The switching capacity is 25 Gbps.
- The Packet Buffer Memory is 4.1 Mb.
- The maximum power consumption is 10W.
- This switch passed the following certifications: FCC, CE, BSMI, VCCI, C-TICK, and KCC.
- List of supported standards: IEEE 802.3 Ethernet, IEEE 802.3u (100BASE-T), IEEE 802.3ab (1000BASE-T), IEEE 802.3bz (2.5GBase-T), and IEEE 802.3x (Full-Duplex Flow Control).
- Dimensions and weight: 3.54 x 5.51 x 1.1 inches; 1.57 pounds.
Pros And Cons
For 2.5G network devices such as gaming computer, 4K video and NAS servers in a small office, this 2.5gb unmanaged switch is so much useful. It comes in plug and play fanless design for quiet operation. The durable metal housing guarantees long-lasting usage without any odds of breaking or cracking.
One of the superlative aspects of this network switch is it supports hassle-free cabling. You don’t need to upgrade to Cat6 cabling because this switch instantly upgrades to 2.5 Gbps performance. So, along with promising efficient performance, it simultaneously reduces cost.
- This 2.5G switch features five 2.5G GBASE-T ports. Each of these ports support
- Connectivity speeds like 100 Mbps, 1 Gbps, and 2.5 Gbps.
- It is extremely suitable for connecting 2.5G network devices like 2.5G NAS, 2.5G WiFi 6 AP, 2.5G server, 2.5G PCIe adapter, 4K video, gaming computer, and more.
- The switching capacity is 128G which is 2.5 times faster than that of Gigabit switches. This switching capacity guarantees faster configuration which is perfect for 4K videos, home entertainment, LAN parties, and SOHO Pro users.
- The bandwidth is 128 Gbps and the throughput is 28.8 Mbps.
- The Packet Buffer memory is 12 Mb SRAM.
- LED Indicators: PWR for connecting to Power Orange Light at the left, Green Light at left (2.5G transfer), Green Light at right (1G transfer).
- The included power adapter’s rating: AC 100-240V, 0.3A, 50/60 Hz max, and 15W max.
- Dimensions and weight: 9.45 x 7.09 x 1.57 inches; 1.83 pounds.
Pros And Cons
This TP-Link 5 port 2.5G desktop switch is one of the best 2.5GB switches for small and home offices. It is also suitable for home entertainment, LAN parties, and an immediate transfer for workstations. The industry-leading fanless design guarantees silent operation.
After setting up this switch, you would never host a laggy LAN party. You would experience high speed and lower traffic. Moreover, this switch prioritizes gaming traffic with QoS. The gaming experience is always smooth and responsive. The plug and play interface offers ease of setup. The metal casing is available to ensure the protection of this switch against external factors.
- Each of the five ports supports 100 Mbps, 1 Gbps, and 2.5 Gbps speeds. These ports unlock the maximum performance of your Multi-Gig devices and bandwidth.
- The switching capacity is up to 25 Gbps.
- This switch offers super-fast connections to a 2.5G server, 2.5G NAS, 2.5G WiFi 6 AP, gaming computer, 4K video, and more.
- It can be instantly upgraded to2.5 Gbps without requiring upgrading to Cat6 cabling. So, it reduces wiring expenses and hassles.
- Auto-negotiation 3-speed (100 Mbps/ 1 Gbps/ 2.5 Gbps) connections detect the link speeds and smartly adapt for optimal performance and compatibility for your devices. Examples of devices include 2.5G PCIe adapter, 2.5G NAS, 2.5G WiFi 6 AP, VR gaming, gaming consoles, 4K video, desktop, etc.
- The 2.5 wired connections fulfill the bandwidth potential of the WiFi 6 access points.
- Dimensions and weight: 8.23 x 4.96 x 1.02 inches; 2.14 pounds.
Pros And Cons
How To Pick The Best 2.5GB Switch?
When you are resolute about choosing the best 2.5GB switch according to your budget and needs, the following factors will help you.
1. Switch performance
In enterprise networking, the packet forwarding rate and the switching capacity are top priorities to the core switch. Compared to distribution switches and access layer switches, the 2.5Gb switches provide a higher forwarding rate and switching capacity. The forwarding rate prominently depends on the number of devices connected to the network.
2. QoS Capability
QoS is an essential network feature that can be useful for certain kinds of network traffic. In present-day enterprises, owing to the increasing amount of data traffic, more voice and video data are needed. But the question is what to do if the network congestion takes place. In that case, the QoS service can be useful.
Through the QoS capability, a 2.5Gb switch can offer various bandwidths to the various applications as per their different characteristics. When compared with the traffic which is not so much responsive about time like E-mail, the critical traffic sensitive to time must obtain higher QoS guarantees. The purpose behind this is it guarantees that more important traffic could pass first. Also, it guarantees high forwarding of data and reduced package loss.
3. Switching capacity
This aspect implies the total data exchange capability of a network switch, in bps or Gbps. It is calculated as the data rate of the port * number of ports *2 (full-duplex). To get a clearer idea, for example, a 24-port 100M switch comes with a switching capacity of 24*100*2=4.8 Gbps. Some of the discussed 2.5Gb switches come with a switching capacity of up to 40 Gbps. It also depends on the expected amount of traffic. A high-performance 2.5Gb switch comes with excellent switching capacity.
4. Energy efficiency
To control superfluous energy consumption, many of the 2.5Gb switches come in a fanless design. This kind of design makes sure the entire input gets converted into useful power. You may find that many of the 2.5 Gb switches support IEEE 802.3az Energy-Efficient Ethernet (EEE). When a connected computer shuts down, this feature detects it. In that case, it saves a prominent amount of power. Also, this feature optimizes power usage and reduces operational costs.
It is always better to keep an eye on your budget and then proceed with the purchase of a 2.5Gb switch. Usually, these network switches are available at an affordable price. But still, you can save money if you buy judiciously and focus on the features you need. It is not recommended to overspend on a 2.5Gb switch that comes with extra features you don’t need.
FAQs When Picking The Best 2.5GB Switch
1. What is a PoE and non-PoE switch?
Usually, a Power over Ethernet (PoE) switch is recommended. It owns the ability to efficiently transmit power supply as well as data simultaneously to the device. Conversely, a non-PoE switch could not support both these things together. Based on your needs, you can choose any one of them.
2. How can you evaluate the performance of a network switch?
You can assess the performance of a network switch based on the switching capacity and forwarding performance. It also depends on the number of interfaces and the interface rate. It is found that a 24-port 100 Mb/s switch should possess a forwarding performance of 3.57 Mbps and has a switching capacity of 4.8 Gbps.
3. Do all 2.5Gb switches generate so much heat?
No, but some of the 2.5Gb switches do produce some heat. The ventilated construction in the best 2.5GB switch helps in cooling and also maintains high performance.
With any of these 2.5Gb switches, you can instantly upgrade your network to fast connectivity. They not only facilitate quick data transfer but also boost the overall performance of your network. Compared to Ethernet cables, their speeds are significantly faster. The best 2.5GB switch can be the one that fulfills all the discussed aspects along with advanced network security features.
Enjoyed the 2.5GB switch review? Then be sure to check out our other guides.