Typically, a router connects two or more different networks. In the majority of setups, a rackmount router would connect to a switch to establish communication between several devices in the whole wide-area network. Essentially, the rack mount represents a hardware device competent of being mounted in the actual rack or a special rack. Many giant companies use rack mount routers.
The rackmount router ensures that the router is safely equipped inside. Because these types of routers are critical to the entire network, make sure they are located in a central location, like a data center. Get a judicial overview on how to get the best rackmount router in 2023 with the help of the following selection.
List of The Best Rackmount Router
Check out the thorough reviews of the best rackmount router in 2023 below.
For those who are in search of a performance-efficient rack mount router with fast data transfer speed and intuitive interface, this Mikrotik 10 port gigabit router is the best rackmount router. It is a reliable router with a noteworthy amount of advanced features and configurable features. Essentially, it is the latest multi-port device that operates on an ARM architecture CPU to provide high-performance output. Moreover, this router is protected in an SFP cage. The 1U rack mount enclosure is available to simplify the installation. The bright touchscreen LCD panel provides an intuitive interface.
- The LAN port bandwidth is 10/100/1000 Mbps.
- The data transfer rate is 1 32nds.
- 10 Gigabit ports are segmented into two switch groups.
- The SuperSpeed (full size) USB 3.0 port lets you add an external 3G/4G modem or storage.
- The RAM capacity is 1 GB and storage space is 128 MB.
- A Passive PoE out port and a USB 3.0 Type-A are included.
- There is a provision to monitor voltage and PCB temperature.
- The dimensions of this router are 17.44 x 3.62 x 1.73 inches and it weighs 1.87 pounds.
Pros And Cons
The cutting-edge Ubiquiti 4 port gigabit EdgeRouter is renowned for providing a 50% increment in performance compared to the EdgeRouter Pro. It provides efficient performance output which your network needs. Implemented with the functional EdgeOS, this router is suitable for use in both Enterprise and Carrier-Grade networks.
This Ubiquiti router combines enterprise-level features with carrier-class reliability in a compact unit. The internal PSU comes in a fanless design. While setting up the router, the setup wizard will guide you to connect your Internet on PoE. What you need to do is only to enter the particular username/password.
- The data transfer rate is 4 Gbps.
- The wireless type is IrDA.
- The included ports are three 10/100/1000 Mbps Ethernet ports, an RJ45 Serial, and an SFP port (for fiber link).
- The maximum power consumption is 13 Watts.
- 4-core 1GHz MIPS64 processor contributes to efficient performance.
- This router can route up to 3.4 million packets per second
- It can handle dual WAN with 1 Gbps throughput without QoS or DPI. When QoS is enabled, the throughput declines to 500 Mbps.
- The dimensions of this router are 9.02 x 5.37 x 1.22 inches and it weighs 1.75 pounds.
Pros And Cons
This Mikrotik router incorporates most features and interfaces found in top-quality rackmount routers. It comes with two indoor antennas for wireless communication, a desktop enclosure, a power supply, and a touchscreen LCD panel.
With a few simple queues and static DHCP leases, the DL/UL consumption is witnessed for each device. You can view the corresponding trends on an hourly/daily/weekly/monthly/yearly basis. Depending on this, each connected device is being independently throttled.
The default configuration which ships with this router sets the ETH1 and the SFP port (optical) as ‘WAN’ ports whereas the rest relate to the LAN. It is important to note that the default configuration would only set the port when you power on the router for the first time. A desktop enclosure and power supply are included. For security, the color LCD screen turns black when you touch it. So, in terms of security and efficient performance, this Mikrotik model can be the best rackmount router.
- The wireless standard adopted is 802.11 b/g/n.
- The built-in Atheros 600 MHz 74K MIPS network processor and 128 MB RAM contributes to efficient performance.
- The connectivity options are five Fast Ethernet LAN ports, five Gigabit LAN ports, an RJ45 serial port, a USB port, and an SFP cage.
- Two 4dBi Omni antennas are included for strong signal communication.
- RouterOS L5 license is supported.
- The dimensions of this router are 0.39 x 3.57 x 1.39 inches and it weighs 1.32 pounds.
Pros And Cons
Belonging from the S350 series, this Netgear 26 port gigabit router comes with hassle-free desktop or rackmount installation mechanisms. The aspects that make it popular are plenty of PoE+ ports, enterprise-level features, intuitive GUI, and Netgear’s reliability.
The 52 Gbps internal switching capacity depicts that this router can handle a huge load simultaneously although multiple bandwidth-intensive devices are connected. So, even if you connect IP cameras for recording or do 4K streams on multiple devices, there will be no depreciation in speed. The dual chassis fans would only turn on when there is an intense load. The Web GUI functions consistently across all browsers and no bugs were found.
- The 24 Gigabit Ethernet ports (PoE+ ports) come with a 190W total power budget.
- Two 1G SFP ports are included.
- The Acoustic Noise Level @25C is – 32.8 dBA.
- For ease of configuration, the router is implemented with features like SNMP, LLDP, LAG, QoS, VLANs, and many other business-level features.
- Each of the single ports on the switch supports PoE. Hence, you are always ensured that you are connecting PoE devices to the appropriate port
- The dimensions of this router are 8.1 x 13 x 1.7 inches and it weighs 5.93 pounds.
Pros And Cons
MikroTik cloud router switch is a rack-mountable manageable switch implemented with Layer 3 features. The availability of plenty of high-performance ports makes it one of the best rackmount router from this brand. It contains 16 SFP+ ports that provide 10GbE connectivity speed. A 1GbE copper port is included for network management. An RJ45 port is included.
Being powered by a next-generation switching chip, this 10gb router offers you adequate wire-speed performance to power all sixteen 10GbE ports through any Ethernet frame size. The advanced features like hardware-based spanning tree protocol and link aggregation (LACP) offer superior protection and professional performance for your network. The two redundant fans and a passive cooling case efficiently contribute to cooling performance.
- The built-in processor is 2-core 98DX8216 (800 MHz).
- The RAM capacity is 1 GB and storage space is 16 MB.
- The actuator type is push button.
- The maximum power consumption is 44W.
- The range of ambient temperature in which this router works is -20°C to 60°C.
- The MTBF is approx. 2,00,000 hours at 25°C.
- The supported operating system is RouterOS (license 6) / SwitchOS.
- Supported certifications are CE, EAC, and ROHS.
- The dimensions of this router are 17.44 x 8.82 x 1.73 inches.
Pros And Cons
TP-Link ER605 VPN router contains 5 Gigabit ports which are categorized as a Gigabit WAN port, 3 Gigabit WAN/LAN ports, and a Gigabit LAN port. There are up to 4 WAN ports that optimize bandwidth utilization through one device. The Multi-Wan Load Balancing boosts the utilization rate of multi-line broadband. The installation is easy with setup and forget configurations. Accessories packed in are a power adapter, an RJ45 Ethernet cable, and a quick installation guide.
- The highly secure VPN supports up to 20 LAN-to-LAN IPsec, 16 OpenVPN, 16 L2TP, and 16× PPTP VPN connections.
- The Software Defined Networking (SDN) platform from Omada integrates network devices like access points, gateways, and switches with multiple control options (like Omada Hardware controller or Omada Software Controller).
- Omada app and Remote Cloud access offer centralized cloud management of the entire network from various sites. The cloud management of all these sites takes place through a single interface anywhere, anytime.
- The implemented security features are advanced firewall policies, IP/MAC/URL filtering, DoS defense, speed test, and more.
- One-click auto IPSec VPN (Requires SDN Controller) streamlines VPN configuration and provides network management. Also, it secures private data transmission.
Pros And Cons
The ability to provide superior routing with top price/performance value suggests that this Ubiquiti router can be one of the best rackmount routers on the list. Each of the EdgeRouter 4, 6P, 12, and 12P are capable of routing up to 3.4 million packets per second.
Ubiquiti router is well-known for offering PoE flexibility. This is because the EdgeRouter 6P, PoE, and 12P contain configurable PoE ports to run airMAX products. Furthermore, the EdgeRouter 12 includes a PoE input port and a PoE passthrough port.
To provide fiber connectivity, an SFP port is available in EdgeRouter 4 and EdgeRouter 6P. Dual SFP ports are available in the EdgeRouter 12 and 12P. The 8-Port EdgeRouter provides two combinations of RJ45/SFP ports.
- The implemented network technology is 10/100/1000 Base-T.
- The wireless standard supported is 802.11 ac.
- An expansion slot is available.
- The implemented security protocol is WEP.
- The installed OS is UBNT System.
Pros And Cons
This Mikrotik 5 port Ethernet router comes with free firmware and unlimited RouterOS updates for a lifetime. Being an updated version of the hEX, it provides multiple performance improvements. It is externally secure through default configuration. So, no ports are accessible from the WAN side except for ICMP.
- The data transfer rate is 470 Mbps.
- The adopted wireless standard is 802.11n.
- The installed operating system is RouterOS.
- The dual-core 880 MHz CPU and 256 MB RAM provide advanced configurations.
- The total number of ports is 5 including a USB Type-A port.
Pros And Cons
How To Pick The Best Rackmount Router?
Let’s look at some significant factors that help you choose the best rack mount router.
1. Number of ports
Depending on your existing requirements, you need to choose a rackmount router with enough ports. For example, some of them come with 24 ports and even more that help you connect multiple devices simultaneously. Also, you need to look for the connectivity speed (GbE) that determines how fast the network works.
2. Easy-to-read markings
Many manufacturers of rack mount routers design them with easy-to-read U Height markings over the posts and adjustment markings (with 1-inch increments). This makes it simple and fasts quick to mount equipment and adapt mounting depth.
3. Assembly and mounting hardware
Most of the rackmount routers from reliable brands come with all hardware required to perfectly assemble the rack or mount it to the wall, and install your equipment. It is better to choose a rackmount router that is complete with a set of cage nuts and screws to securely mount the router.
FAQs When Picking The Best Rackmount Router
1. How do rackmount routers guarantee a secure fit?
With the help of a unique anti-slip blue rubber gasket design, the hook portion perfectly fits in the wall plug. As a result, it firmly secures your device on the wall. This also makes sure your router becomes less prone to spills or cord-related issues.
2. How to benefit from a space-saving solution when using a rackmount router?
You can enclose the cord around the reel and conceal it on the back of the holder. This assists to save space and ensure secure storage of your router.
3. How to use a power strip?
If your rack possesses a power strip, it is better to consider the alignment of the strip when you plan fastener points. This makes sure you can pull port adapters and other FRUs directly from their respective slots. In case the power strip impairs a rear rack-mount installation then you need to discard the power strip before installing the router within the rack. Finally, replace it after the chassis gets installed.
4. What does it mean by certified packaging in rackmount routers?
Many of the rack mount routers including the best rackmount router come flat packed with ISTA-6 certified packaging to guarantee complete and safe delivery. Moreover, they feature comprehensive assembly instructions.
As implied from the name, these rack mount routers come with an easy and secure installation mechanism. They are well-known for supporting fast switching capacity, providing reliable data transfer speeds, and easy software configurations. The best rackmount router is the one that fulfills all these criteria and also enables remote and centralized management, anywhere, anytime.
Enjoyed this rackmount router review? Then be sure to check out our other guides.