The age of networking is starting to unveil a hidden debate on what to choose when you upgrade your connection technology. Switches have become the solution for Internet traffic management, whether we are talking of a business, a home, or even a gaming facility. Many elements come to analysis if you are planning to do some advancement. From the number of ports to the power needs of the equipment or the nature of the connection. What is better for high-speed networking, fast ethernet switches, or gigabit switches? To answer all of these questions, we are going to write down the reviews of the best 48 port gigabit switch in 2021, hope it will help you find the right one for your needs.
List of The Best 48 Port Gigabit Switch
Check out the thorough reviews of the best 48 port gigabit switch in 2021 below.
This Netgear 48 port network switch is an excellent but manageable device with a metallic cover of 8 x 17.3 x 1.7 inches and a rack-style design. It has a mechanical life expectancy of 3 years, and its operation is plug-and-play, as there is no software, installation, or configuration needed to have it running. It can support desktop or rackmount placement and has an energy-efficient design in compliance with Energy Efficient Ethernet standards (IEEE 802.3az), which allow physical layer transmitters to consume less energy during periods of lower data activity.
- Silent operation for noise reactive environments
- Plug and play
- 3 years limited warranty
- VLAN to separate networks for security means and simplifying the operation
- QoS for determining traffic priority between file, audio, or video transfers
- Priority Setting for each port for VoIP, rate limiting, and VLANs
Pros And Cons
Another portable and versatile unit with a premium design from the Chinese company TP-Link. This network switch with 48 ports comes in a robust metal case for extended durability and incorporates some of the most advanced technology features in the market for a very affordable price.
- 48×10/100/1000Mbps RJ45 Ports, which support Auto-Negotiation and Auto MDI/MDIX
- Plug and play operation with no software, configuration or installation required
- State of the art energy-efficient technology which lets you expand networking capacities with less power usage
- Fanless design which guarantees a noiseless performance
- Advanced software features. TL-SG1048 displays a non-blocking high-speed building with a 96Gbps of switching capacity that will assure the best level of data transmission
- 8K MAK address table that will provide scalability even for the bigger networks
- Unique, industry top lifetime warranty
- Free 24/7 technical help
Pros And Cons
This product from NETGEAR is in the same style as other similar switches but only on its physical appearance. Displayed in a black metal case, and with a rackmount design, however, this gigabit switch with 48 ports has some differences from other equipment of the same family, like the management software and an improvement of the warranty.
- A display of 48 Ports of Gigabit Ethernet
- 4 SFP Ports of 1Gb (2 shared)
- Easy to go, smart software that provides Managed control for a safe configuration, access, and operation, SNMP (NMS 300)
- Desktop or rackmount support, with all the assembling accessories, brought in its box
- Limited lifetime warranty, with next labor day replacement of the equipment and conversation with a NETGEAR expert 24/7
- IEEE802.3az compliant design, energy saving
Pros And Cons
ZyXEL Networks is a company that has become a very consistent provider of AI, cloud-based business, and home networking answers, and this switch with 48 ports is confirming that reliability. With an elegant design and high performance, it is, without doubt, a choice to have in mind if you are planning to buy a managed switch. This 48 port gigabit switch has proved to be ideal for small businesses that want to segregate traffic on their networks, but don’t have a branch of IT to undertake this task.
- Excellent networking performance with 48 Gigabit Ethernet Ports
- Intelligent management, due to a web-based setup wizard that allows a fast and easy configuration
- Layer 2 advanced features like QoS, VLAN, Link Aggregation (LAG), IGMP Snooping, IPv6, and DoS prevention, for better security and management.
- Limited lifetime warranty and a free firmware upgrading support
- Lifetime hardware warranty and free guaranteed long term technical support
Pros And Cons
The American technology enterprise Ubiquity Networks, which manufactures and sells wireless data communications and wired gear for business and homes, has brought this piece of equipment with a very stylish design and excellent performance, this 48 port gigabit switch is mainly targeted for business networks.
- Fully managed PoE+ Gigabit Switch
- Strong design
- 48 Auto Sensing IEEE802.3af/at or configurable 24V PoE Ports
- 2x10G SFP+ links
- 2x1G SFP links
- Advanced Layer 2 Switching features and protocols, including operation mode per port
- UniFi Controller UI allows setting up and virtually controlling all of the switch elements in a graphic user interface.
Pros And Cons
Netgear, a great north American company, specialized in production and trade of networking systems, mainly targeting homes and small to medium-size business, have brought another 48 port smart managed switch to the market with success. This 10G switch with 48 ports has a very strong design with a black metal case and similar features to other managed switches.
- 44 Ethernet 10G ports
- 4 1G/10G SFP+ links
- Intelligent, easy to use software with a friendly interface that offers a performance control for a safe configuration, access, and operation SNMP (NMS 300)
- Allows desktop or rackmount placement and includes all the building accessories in its box
- Lifetime limited warranty, with next labor day replacement and 24/7 support from a NETGEAR expert.
- Energy-efficient design IEEE802.3az compliant
- Silent operation
Pros And Cons
How to Pick the Best 48 Port Gigabit Switch?
After reviewing a variety of 48 port gigabit switch units, we are ready to discuss some stuff you need to know before buying a piece of new equipment as complex as a switch.
Network size and nature
The first thing to analyze is the network size and nature. Is it intended for a home or a business network? Unmanaged Switches are better suited for homes and even small businesses, which will have fewer units and equipment connected to the network, and consequently have reduced traffic. Unmanaged switches are usually plug-and-play, which is better if you are not a techie or an IT expert, or if you don’t have such a team, but if your business grows fast, you may need to consider moving to a managed switch. For larger and complex networks, it is better to have managed switches.
Another important aspect to consider when buying the best 48 port gigabit switch is your equipment and software compatibility with the unit you are planning to purchase. Some switches have compatibility problems with freeware operating systems like Linux. In other cases, your equipment will need advanced features like PoE. Be sure to check the unit’s features, product descriptions, and then try to find any compatibility issues in the reviews.
Once you have considered the size and nature of the network and the potential compatibility issues that may occur with some equipment, the next thing to consider when picking the best 48 port gigabit switch is the unit specification. Be sure that the hardware you are buying has a visible specification sheet. If it doesn’t, consider purchasing another which does, or try to find them online before purchasing it. The goal here is to assure yourself that the product you are buying complies with your requirements, no matter if it is intended for home, leisure, gaming, or business.
After-Sale and Customer Service, Warranties, and Technical Support
The last thing you need to think about when picking the best 48 port gigabit switch is the quality of the after-sale services, like customer service, customer support, and warranties. Does the brand of the equipment even have customer service or customer support, and does the product have a warranty? And if it does, what kind of warranty is offered, Lifetime, Limited or Extended, Long term warranty. The technical support is 24/7 or only office time support. Do they offer equipment replacement? What do you will need in case of an urgent replacement of your equipment?
Acquiring gear from a well-known and reputed company or brand is one of the best pieces of advice when picking the best 48 port gigabit switch. Even better if that company or brand is renowned for manufacturing or producing high-quality and performance switches. It will never be a bad idea to look out for reviews and qualifications of the company you are buying the equipment to make your final decision.
Frequently Asked Questions When Picking the Best 48 Port Gigabit Switch
To assist in your decision-making, we’ll try to answer the most frequently asked questions about 48 port gigabit switch.
What is a 48 Port Gigabit Switch?
A 48 port gigabit switch is a piece of equipment suited for handling large computers and other devices that need to be connected to the Internet. This is known as a local network. In a local network, more than one device will be sharing a broadband connection to the Internet. The 48 Ports allow the connection of an equal number of devices to the Ethernet Switch.
How many types of 48 port gigabit are there?
There are mainly two kinds of 48 port gigabit switches which are managed and unmanaged. Managed switches are usually more complex and need software to operate, configure and manage the network. Unmanaged switches usually are plug-and-play. There are also PoE and Non-PoE switches. PoE (Power over Ethernet) switches will automatically recognize when a device is compatible and activate power. Non-PoE switches don’t have this feature or compatibility.
Why do I need a 48 Port Gigabit Switch?
You will need a network switch with 48 ports if you don’t have enough gigabit ethernet connections for many wired devices that need to share broadband Internet.
Finally, we have listed and reviewed a diversity of equipment, analyzed what to consider when choosing the best 48 port gigabit switch, and answered the most frequently asked questions that users made about this subject. The 48 port gigabit switch is a piece of equipment that provides solutions and value to small businesses and home offices. It is also suited for gaming and large networks. If you are not a software expert, it is better to look for an unmanaged unit. Whether or not you agree with our selection and analysis, we expect this article to be helpful to you and helped make your decision.
Enjoyed this? Then be sure to check out our other guide of the best 24 port gigabit switch.