Unlike traditional routers, IoT routers offer exceptional security. If you intend to build a smart internet of things on the basis of home architecture then you can set up an IoT router. The IoT router is a must if you plan to develop an IoT-based network.
IoT routers will provide great flexibility and a wider range, allowing you to build next-gen networks. Now you can easily get IoT on a device that allows you to access the Internet itself. Moreover, these IoT-enabled WiFi routers support digital assistants like Alexa. To eliminate your confusion on how to pick up the best IoT router in 2023, we have highlighted the best ones along with a section on how to choose them.
List of The Best IoT Router
Check out the thorough reviews of the best IoT router in 2023 below.
Get rid of buffering and dead spots with this best IoT router from this list. It is a mesh WiFi system consisting of 3 IoT routers. This system is best for whole-home coverage and provides Internet speeds up to 350 Mbps. You can stream, browse, and play games from anywhere.
With the implementation of the TrueMesh technology, this Eero mesh WiFi system intelligently routes traffic to prevent drop-offs, buffering, and congestion. With the cross-compatible hardware, you can add eero products as your need to modify them. With the available Apple HomeKit, this system provides more protection to your HomeKit accessories. Moreover, this kit presents a simple way to manage those features they are allowed to communicate in your home.
Eero Secure provides your family with essential tools like content warnings, threat scans, and ad-blocking. You can upgrade to Eero Secure+ to obtain a special bundle of famous security apps like 1Password, Encrypt.me, and Malware bytes. So, your data will always be safe.
The automatic updates keep your network secure. This system can work with various internet service providers. So, it can connect to your modem to convey your existing Internet connection to all corners of a home. With the eero app, you can complete the setup in 10 minutes. This app lets you manage your network from anywhere.
- This whole-home WiFi system can cover up to 5,000 sq. ft. area.
- WiFi connectivity it supports is dual-band WiFi radios, beamforming, 2×2 MU-MIMO, simultaneous 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz, and IEEE 802.11a/b/g/n/ac.
- 2 auto-sensing Gigabit ports are available for WAN and/or LAN connectivity.
- The built-in processor, memory, and storage space are respectively 700 MHz quad-core processor, 512 MB RAM, and 4 GB flash storage.
- For smart home connectivity, the system can work with Alexa, Bluetooth LE 5.0, Amazon WiFi simple setup, and Apple HomeKit.
- WiFi speeds vary from 50-200 MB depending on the distance from the closest Eero unit.
- When this system is used with an Alexa device, it can effortlessly manage WiFi access for individuals and devices in the home.
Pros And Cons
GL.iNet GL-XE300 is a 4G smart router which works perfectly for business, home, and IoT solutions. Through its OpenWrt-supported feature and huge storage compatibility, this IoT router can effectively help you to develop a DIY IoT project. Moreover, it is easily configurable and contains an interchangeable module for efficient optimization.
This IoT gateway is compatible with CAT4 and CAT6 modules. These modules support varied downstream throughput and varied bands to meet your varied requirements. Configuration is simple with the GoodCloud and Web UI 3.0. So, you can manage and supervise your devices anywhere, anytime. For effective device control, you can see the real-time statistics, organize the client connection list, set up a VPN server and client, and remotely control SSH to your IoT devices
The incorporated 4G modem supports automatic/ manual dial number, SMS checking, AT command, and checking of signal strength in Web UI 3.0. As a result, you will benefit from better management and easy configuration.
The package contents include a 5V/2A power adapter, an Ethernet cable, a pre-installed Quectel EC25-AFFA 4G module, and a user manual.
- Maximum WiFi speed on the 2.4 GHz band is up to 300 Mbps.
- Built-in memory is 128 MB RAM and storage space is 16MB NOR + 128MB NAND Flash.
- The maximum capacity of the MicroSD card allowed is 512 MB.
- If the Ethernet Internet fails, the router can move into a 4G LTE wireless network. Thus, it guarantees constant data transmission.
- The contained standard nano-SIM card slot can transfer a 4G LTE signal into Wi-Fi networking. Therefore, this router can work as a smart 4G to Wi-Fi converter.
- A USB 2.0 port and dual Ethernet ports are included.
- OpenVPN & WireGuard are pre-installed for security.
- For exceptional online security, the router supports WPA3, IPv6, and Cloudflare.
- The 5000 mAh lithium-polymer battery allows you to use this router anywhere for hours.
Pros And Cons
In recent times, there are plenty of smart electronic devices available in the market. But users may not use them smoothly and easily. The reason behind this is these smart devices cannot work together. ASRock resolves this concern with this 2-in-1 wireless router. It presents a powerful and user-friendly environment for connecting multiple IoT devices.
It is a comprehensive Wi-Fi router that integrates ZigBee and IR functions anytime, anywhere. So, you can conveniently control, manage, or supervise various smart devices. For those people willing to advance into home automation and obtain fast WiFi connectivity, this router is quite useful.
- The wireless standard it supports is 802.11ac.
- It combines universal IoT hubs like 2.4 GHz/5 GHz WiFi, Infrared, and Zigbee.
- The included app can manage multiple sensors and other smart devices with cross control.
- 3 cloud services it support are IoT, P2P with AES128 Encryption, and Infrared support list database.
- Transnational Remote Control comes with features like IoT control and Storage upload/download. So, it provides a flexible user experience.
Pros And Cons
When you plan to work from anywhere, one of the most common hassles you may face is damage to the router due to external conditions. In terms of durable construction and efficient routing, IBR600C WiFi router is the best IoT router on this list. It comes in a semi-rugged construction to resist damage due to environmental conditions.
The router comes with public safety support for some mission-critical IoT devices. Cloud management takes place. What sets this IoT router unique from the remaining ones is it comes with a 3-year NetCloud subscription plan. Antennas and AC adapters are included.
- The wireless connectivity it supports is LTE.
- WiFi standards it supports are 802.11 b/g/n (Wi-Fi 4).
- The data transfer rate is 150 Mbps.
- 9 ports are available including a 1 GbE Ethernet (LAN/WAN switchable) and a USB port.
- There is support for a dual modem with COR Extensibility Dock.
- Two cellular standards it supports are PTCRB and GCF.
- It comes with AT&T and Verizon network operator certifications.
- Throughput is 75 Mbps (Firewall).
- VPN Tunnel count is 5.
Pros And Cons
Perceive fast wireless connectivity in each corner of your home with this WiFi system. It is a perfect router replacement system that offers whole-home coverage. No more dead zones and buffering issues.
The included app enables quick setup. From the app, you can see what devices are connected. Also, you can prioritize devices and pause the WiFi on kids’ devices from this app. Family control enables you to pause the WiFi on kids’ devices. Moreover, the WiFi app of Google is simple to use and boasts an intuitive interface. You can conveniently control those home devices being connected via your home WiFi from any place.
- The wireless communication standards supported are 802.11a/b/g/n/ac, 2.4 GHz Radio frequency, and 5 GHz Radio frequency.
- The security protocol implemented is WPA2-PSK.
- The data transfer rate is 1200 Mbps.
- The list of compatible Internet service providers is Time Warner, Comcast, and Verizon Fios.
- A single WiFi point can cover up to 1,500 sq. ft. A set of three such points can cover homes with an area of up to 4,500 sq. ft. These WiFi points work collectivity so that you can add more if additional coverage is required.
Pros And Cons
This IBR200 router comes with a 10 Mbps modem for AT&T and Generic. You can instantly deploy and effectively manage networks present at different geographic locations. This is possible with the Cradlepoint NetCloud Essentials.
The available3-year subscription plan makes it the best IoT router from Cradlepoint Technologies. The reason is this subscription improves productivity and reduces costs. Also, it enhances the intelligence of your network and business operation to provide necessary features for your network. Service providers it can work with are AT&T and T-Mobile. From status indicators, you can know power and signal strength.
- The wireless communication standards it supports are 802.11b/g/n.
- The WiFi band it works on is 2.4 GHz.
- Cellular protocols supported are HSPA+, LTE B1, LTE B28, LTE B3, LTE B5, LTE B7, and UMTS.
- Network / Transport protocols it comes with are DDNS, DNS, DHCP, IPSec, and IPv6.
- Remote management protocols it comes with are CLI, HTTP, and SNMP.
- An RP-SMA and two SMA antennas are included for powerful signal reception.
- Ports available are a 10Base-T/100Base-TX, RJ-45, USB 2.0, and a 4 pin USB Type-A.
- The encryption algorithms it comes with are IKEv2 and WPA2-Enterprise.
- Authentication methods supported are RADIUS and TACACS+.
- Compliant standards are cUL, FCC, IC, RoHS, RoHS2, PTCRB, UL, and WEEE.
Pros And Cons
How To Pick The Best IoT Router?
You can pick the top router for IoT devices if you are aware of the key factors to consider. To end up with the best IoT routers, it is wise to go through the details of important aspects discussed below.
1. WiFi coverage
One of the most essential aspects you need to consider for such routers is wireless coverage. These routers are designed to manage different devices and build a smart internet of things. Therefore, it is better if the router covers a huge area.
Thick walls and other obstacles impede the WiFi network coverage. If the wireless coverage does not reach all the corners of a room, the router is useless. Some IoT routers support wireless coverage up to 1500 sq. ft. whereas others support up to 5000 sq. ft. You can go for a mesh network for IoT devices to benefit from exceptional wireless coverage.
2. Wi-Fi security
Your chosen IoT router may provide powerful Internet connectivity, wide-coverage, multiple device management, etc. However, if it lacks essential security features then it is worthless to buy such a router. You may find several IoT routers equipped with security protocols like WPA, WPA2-PSK, etc. It is advisable to choose an IoT router with at least one such security protocol. It ensures a safe online experience every time. Moreover, you may find a few IoT routers pre-installed with OpenVPN and WireGuard. If enough security features are available then the odds of cyber attacks reduce a lot.
3. Device management
The purpose of buying an IoT router is to build a smart internet of things and manage various devices. So, it is advisable to look for an IoT router that allows efficient device management. Many IoT routers come with a smart easy configuration with web UI to monitor your devices. Furthermore, you may find many IoT routers with Alexa support allowing you to conveniently manage WiFi access for devices in the home.
FAQs When Picking The Best IoT Router
1. What it means by an IoT router?
An IoT router or a cellular IoT gateway router is essentially a smart Internet gateway that the IoT devices and sensors utilize to leverage the cellular WAN connections over the gateway router. The same enables the IoT system to function without a hard-wired internet connection through fiber, cable, Ethernet, DSL, etc.
2. What is the role of an IoT gateway?
An IoT gateway works as a network router that routes data between IoT devices and the cloud. Earlier, the majority of the gateway devices only deliver traffic in one direction i.e. from the IoT devices to the cloud. Presently, it is common for a gateway device to deal with both inbound as well as outbound traffic. The outbound traffic streams are widely used for transmitting IoT data to the cloud. On the other hand, the inbound traffic streams are widely used for device management tasks like updating device firmware.
3. Which are the types of IoT routers?
There are 2 types of IoT routers – home-based and industrial-based IoT routers.
4. Why is it crucial to choose the right IoT connectivity option?
IoT connectivity is a hot topic of discussion in the present era. Those businesses that can successfully execute reliable IoT obtain the capability to extend into new markets, create new product offerings, and discover new business models. The choice of the right IoT connectivity option can assist businesses to grow new revenue along with obtaining competitive advantages. They get an edge over other companies prevalent in their space.
5. Do IoT routers offer flexibility?
Yes, the best IoT router provides excellent flexibility and range, allowing you to build cutting-edge networks that assimilate typical Wi-Fi devices such as laptops and smartphones with new kinds of tech devices like doorbells or smart cameras.
Routing data between your IoT devices and cloud is simplified with the best IoT router meeting your requirements. If you intend to develop an IoT-based network then it is wise to set up an IoT router. They can connect multiple IoT devices and efficiently manage them in the network. The best of all is they always ensure secure and fast WiFi connection.
Enjoyed this router for IoT device review? Then be sure to check out our other guide of the best 2.5gb router.