The need for wireless connectivity is now streamlined with the use of routers. The wireless connectivity speed is one of the most sought-after aspects to focus on when selecting a router. If you are on the lookout for upgrading to Gigabit internet then you need to pick the best possible router for Gigabit Internet. The increased need for speed provoked the establishment of a new IEEE Ethernet standard i.e. 2.5GB. The 2.5GB router provides fast wireless connectivity, consumes less power, and works with existing cables.
The aspects like wireless speed, WiFi standard, coverage, app support, throughput, security features, etc. play a major role. Whether you want to accomplish office work or play games or stream content online or watch movies, the 2.5GB router is an idea option to consider. Get familiar with the details of the best 2.5GB routers and pick the best 2.5GB router for your needs with the help of the following sections.
List of The Best 2.5GB Router
Check out the thorough reviews of the best 2.5GB router in 2023 below.
1. ASUS AX5700 WiFi 6 Gaming Router (RT-AX86U)
For gaming and streaming, the Asus AX5700 is the best 2.5GB router on this list. Essentially, it is a dual-band Gigabit wireless Internet router that is well-known for providing ultra-fast speeds up to 5700 Mbps. This is made possible with the support of the latest WiFi 6 (802.11ax) and the 160 MHz channels. This router conveys all the advantages of WiFi 6 (802.11ax) and works seamlessly with all of your existing WiFi devices.
- Wireless communication standards it supports are 802.11n, 802.11b, 802.11ax, 802.11a, and 802.11ac.
- It supports a wired 2.5 Gbps port and 2 Gbps WAN connections.
- ASUS AiMesh support helps you to set up a flexible whole-home mesh network with the AiMesh-compatible routers.
- When operated in the ‘Mobile Game Mode’, it minimizes latency and lag for mobile gaming. To access this mode, you only need to tap on the ASUS Router app.
- To provide commercial-grade home network security, the router supports free ASUS AiProtection Pro, WPA3, and advanced Parental Controls.
- The dedicated gaming port automatically prioritizes those wired devices that are connected to it. Simply connect a gaming console or PC to the LAN port to obtain a stable, fast connection.
- Adaptive QoS (Quality of Service) keeps your networking operating flawlessly by prioritizing network traffic. It lets you can prioritize applications like web surfing, gaming, and video streaming.
- The included Mobile App helps you to manage Traffic Analyzer, Network Diagnostics, and Guest WiFi.
- The total number of ports is 7.
- Compatible operating systems are Microsoft Windows and Apple iOS.
Pros And Cons
2. TP-Link AX6000 WiFi 6 Router (Archer AX6000)
The Archer AX6000 is the first AX WiFi router from TP-Link to support your increasing need for WiFi. Whether you want to stream 4K/8K movies, play online games, experience VR, or engage with your smart devices, this 2.5gb router offers fast wireless connectivity.
The implemented OFDMA technology boosts average throughput by four times (in high-density scenarios,) compared with an 802.11ac standard wireless internet router. Hence, more devices can utilize Wi-Fi simultaneously. To provide stable and smooth connections, this TP-Link AX6000 router eliminates signal interference from your neighbors.
- This dual-band WiFi 6 router supports 802.11n, 802.11b, 802.11ax, 802.11g, and 802.11ac wireless protocols.
- The LAN port bandwidth is 10/100/1000 Mbps.
- With the 1024QAM, the wireless speed is boosted up to 5952 Mbps i.e. 4804 Mbps (on 5 GHz band) and 1148 Mbps (on 2.4 GHz band).
- Built-in 1.8 GHz Quad-Core CPU as well as two co-processors eliminate latency and offer stable wireless performance.
- 8 high-gain external antennas provide a powerful Wi-Fi signal throughout the home. So, they guarantee long-range Wi-Fi coverage.
- The combination of OFDMA and BSS color technology optimizes packet delivery to decrease interference and wait time, boost channel usage, and offer higher efficiency.
- Beamforming and range boost offer strong and broad range network connectivity.
- Protecting your connected devices and network is possible with a free lifetime subscription to TP-Link HomeCare. This subscription provides robust parental controls, next-level antivirus, and QoS support.
- Names of compatible internet service providers are AT&T, Xfinity, Verizon, Spectrum, Cox, CenturyLink, RCN, Frontier, etc
- Available ports are a 2.5Gbps WAN port, eight Gigabit LAN ports, and two USB 3.0 in Type A and Type C.
Pros And Cons
3. Motorola MB8611 DOCSIS 3.1 Multi-Gig Cable Modem
Are you looking for a router that can pair with any WiFi router? If yes then the Motorola MB8611 is the best 2.5GB router for you because of its wide compatibility. It is seamlessly compatible with any WiFi router so that you can connect all your devices. It can pair with gaming or mesh routers, for obtaining shared Internet access by all your Ethernet and WiFi-capable devices.
This Motorola 2.5gbps cable modem is famous for conveying ultra-fast DOCSIS 3.1 performance because it conveys true Gigabit-plus speeds. Fast Internet plans are supported with Cox, Comcast Xfinity, and Spectrum.
- The 2.5GB Ethernet port offers Multi-gigabit Ethernet speed. This is because it offers true high-speed connectivity to even the fastest computers and routers.
- Upstream speeds are up to 800 Mbps and downstream speeds are below 2,500 Mbps.
- There is the implementation of Active Queue Management (AQM) for better app performance and decreased Internet latency (for streaming, conferencing, and online gaming).
Pros And Cons
4. ARRIS Surfboard G36 Multi-Gigabit Modem Router
Boasting the latest technology and excellent reliability, the ARRIS G36 Multi-Gigabit modem router proves to be the impeccable upgrade for a home network. It saves you from paying excessive monthly rental fees. This ARRIS Surfboard router can connect cellphones, tablets, computers, streaming devices, IoT devices, and smart TVs.
The built-in 2.5 Gbps Ethernet port supports multi-gigabit networking. 4 extra 1-Gigabit Ethernet ports are available to provide reliable, fast wired connections for gadgets like gaming consoles, smart TVs, and more.
- This dual-band router supports the 802.11ax wireless protocol.
- The maximum Wi-Fi speeds are up to 3000 Mbps.
- The WPA2-PSK security protocol is implemented.
- The total number of ports is 4.
- The maximum download speed is up to 6.5 Gbps. It is highly suitable for cable Internet speed plans with speeds up to 1.2 Gbps.
- The list of compatible U.S. Cable Internet providers is Xfinity, Spectrum, and Cox.
- It is easy and secure to set up and manage a Wi-Fi network through the SURFboard mAX Manager app
- Step-by-step instructions are included to set up your network. After setup completes, you can easily manage your network from anywhere.
- You can set screen time parental controls.
Pros And Cons
5. TP-Link AX6600 WiFi 6 Gaming Router (Archer GX90)
TP-Link AX6600 is a tri-band gigabit wireless router that is alternatively known as a high-speed ax router. What makes it one of the best 2.5GB router is that it is implemented with OFDMA and Wi-Fi 6 technology. These technologies allow it to simultaneously support up to 100 devices connection. Moreover, MU-MIMO and OFDMA technologies simultaneously deliver data to multiple devices with reduced lag.
- Tri-Band structure offers a 4.8 Gbps Game Band exclusive for gaming, streaming, and other online activities. These three bands are 4804 Mbps (5 GHz, HE160), 1201 Mbps (5 GHz), and 574 Mbps (2.4 GHz).
- The combination of Beamforming technology, 8 detachable high-performance antennas, high-power FEM, and 4T4R offers broad WiFi coverage suitable for a 4-bedroom house.
- Built-in 1.5 GHz quad-core CPU always ensures peak network performance.
- The free lifetime subscription to TP-Link HomeCare offers next-level antivirus, powerful parental controls, and QoS.
- With the addition of a OneMesh supported Range Extender like RE505X, this router lets you flexibly set up whole-home WiFi.
- Game Accelerator detects and optimizes gaming streams to make sure your gaming experience is always immersive.
- Available ports are a 5 Gbps WAN/LAN port, a 1 × 1 Gbps WAN/LAN port, three Gigabit LAN ports, and two USB ports. All these ports guarantee high throughput and maximum flexibility.
Pros And Cons
6. NETGEAR Nighthawk WiFi 6 Cable Modem Router (CAX30S)
NETGEAR Nighthawk CAX30S cable modem router delivers blazing-fast multi-Gigabit Internet connectivity. With the link aggregation and twice the capacity to connect more WiFi devices, this router conveys a next-level wireless experience. You will enjoy a fast Internet experience with next-gen dual band WiFi 6 technology and up to 2.7Gbps internet speed.
Whether it is 4K HD streaming or lag-free gaming or Internet browsing, the delivered speed is adequate. When you substitute your cable modem with this WiFi router, you can significantly save on equipment rental charges.
- This dual-band Netgear router supports 802.11ax wireless protocol.
- Maximum wireless speed is up to 2.7 Gbps.
- Security protocols implemented are WPA-PSK and WPA2-PSK.
- DOCSIS 3.1 and 32×8 channel bonding are implemented.
- The wireless coverage is up to 2,500 sq. ft. within which it can connect up to 25 concurrent devices.
- All leading cable internet providers with Internet speed up to 2 Gbps are compatible. It can work with Xfinity (up to 800 Mbps), and Spectrum and Cox (up to 1 Gbps).
- With a USB 3.0 port and 4 Gigabit Ethernet ports, you can connect streaming players, computers, gaming consoles, storage drives, and more.
- NETGEAR Armor (powered by Bitdefender) defends all home devices against malware, virus, and data theft. You get its 90-day subscription with the purchase of this router.
Pros And Cons
How To Pick The Best 2.5GB Router?
You can significantly save time when choosing the best 2.5GB router after considering the following factors.
1. Wireless speed
The superlative and crucial aspect to focus on before buying a 2.5GB router is the wireless speed it supports. Many of the best 2.5GB routers including the ones discussed above support wireless speeds up to 5700 Mbps. For intensive gaming or commercial use, make sure you choose a router with the fastest possible wireless speed.
2. Wireless protocols
Wireless Ethernet networks utilize 802.11 protocols for data transmission. Out of different WiFi protocols, the 802.11 ac WiFi protocol is extensively used. It offers the highest data rates reaching up to 5400 Mbps. The latest WiFi protocol is 802.11ax. Make sure you choose a 2.5GB router that supports it. List of other WiFi protocols that these routers support are 802.11n, 802.11b, 802.11ax, 802.11a, and 802.11ac.
When it comes to choosing a router based on antenna, you need to consider the number of antennas and their gain. The more antennas a 2.5GB router has, the more directions the signal can travel. This would lead to broad wireless coverage. Choose the one with higher antenna gain so that it can provide a larger reach with more power. Many of the best 2.5GB routers include 8 high-gain external antennas that convey a powerful Wi-Fi signal all through your home.
4. Security features
It is always recommended to buy a router implemented with security features. The reliable 2.5GB routers come with a Wi-Fi password-protected setup recognized as WPS. Some of the latest models are implemented with WPS 2 and WPS 3 that ask for a password before allowing any user to access the network.
Make sure the 2.5GB router you intend to purchase is implemented with an enterprise security level to validate each user or device. Many of the latest Wi-Fi 6 2.5GB routers are equipped with cutting-edge WPA-3 settings that provide better network and data protection. It is known that WPA3 strengthens Wi-Fi encryption for enhanced security. You may find many 2.5GB routers implemented with WPA2-PSK or both WPA-PSK and WPA2-PSK for advanced protection of network and data.
5. QoS (Quality of Service)
QoS features help you to manage which clients and apps attain network priority. Through this setting, you can assign priority to one client over the other. Moreover, you can also prioritize the applications. In other words, this feature determines which devices should obtain the majority of the bandwidth whenever the traffic gets intense. With this feature, you can prioritize applications like web surfing, video streaming, gaming, etc. Before picking a 2.5GB router, make sure it is implemented with advanced QoS.
Frequently Asked Questions When Picking The Best 2.5GB Router
1. Why it is better to choose a 2.5GB router with MU-MIMO?
The MU-MIMO feature enables multiple users to stream simultaneously. This feature proves to be useful when there is a lot of streaming activity.
2. What are parental controls in 2.5GB routers?
If you want to monitor the way your children use the WiFi network then choose the best 2.5GB router with parental controls. It enables parents to restrict network access for their children for certain days and times. Also, it allows them to monitor their child’s social media and gaming activities.
3. Why it is better to choose a 2.5GB router with more Ethernet ports?
The number of Ethernet ports determines the number of devices you can connect to the router. The more Ethernet ports it has, the more devices it can connect. For example, if you have a gaming console, you need a router to directly connect to the console to attain the strongest possible connection. Moreover, Ethernet ports deliver true high-speed connectivity.
When it comes to sufficing the large bandwidth needs for wireless connectivity, the best 2.5GB router can meet the needs. Apart from providing outstanding wireless speed and huge bandwidth, the best 2.5GB routers are famous for eliminating performance bottlenecks. They provide broad wireless coverage and come with enough features to let you easily manage your home network.
Enjoyed this article on the best 2.5GB router? Then be sure to check out our other guides.
- Best 2.5GB Switch
- Best 10GB Switch
- Best 16 Port Gigabit Switch
- Best 24 Port Gigabit Switch
- Best 48 Port Gigabit Switch
- Best 10GB Router
- Best IoT Router
- Best 10GbE NAS
- Best 8TB Internal SSD
- Best 8TB Internal Hard Drive
- Best 8TB External SSD
- Best 4TB Internal SSD
- Best 4TB External SSD
- Best 10GB Network Card
- Best GDDR5 Graphics Card
- Best 12GB Graphics Card
- Best LGA 1151 CPU
- Best PCIe 5.0 Motherboard
- Best Thermal Scope Under $3000
- Best Crossbow Under $1000
- Best Tablet Oscilloscope
- Best OTDR Tester