Z-Wave is a radio communication technology engineered to provide low power requirements, low overheads, and reliable communication between various devices from various manufacturers. Specifically, Z-Wave is designed to streamline home automation systems and identical small local networks. Before decades, locks were made just to open with keys. You need to carry keys along with you every time. If you forget keys, it would be a huge mess. Z wave lock technology presents a fast and efficient approach to locking and unlocking your locks through your smartphone.
In the old days, locks were only made to open with keys, and making sure that you have the keys when you leave the house was a burden to bear. If you have forgotten your keys it would create a big mess and you had to wait for someone who has the key to arrive to get it opened. The best Z wave locks are the ones that can be effortlessly installed, are easy to use, and have decent battery life. For utmost security of your space with the least hassle, you can choose the best Z wave lock in 2023 from the below section.
List of The Best Z Wave Lock
Check out the thorough reviews of the best Z wave lock in 2023 below.
1. Kwikset SmartCode 888 Smart Z Wave Lock
In terms of exceptional security, ease of use, and ease of installation, this Kwikset smart lock is the best z-wave lock on this list. It is essentially a deadbolt door lock equipped with Z-Wave Plus technology. The advanced Z-Wave Plus technology, exceptional safety, and user-friendly interface suggest that the price is worthwhile for the features.
From your phone, you can easily lock or unlock a door from anywhere with a supporting smart home system. It is easy to extend your security system solution with the home connect technology. Hence, your keyless entry lock can wirelessly communicate to security and home automation systems through Z Wave.
This smart lock is encased in a tamper-resistant interior cover that substitutes your existing deadbolt with a screwdriver. No need for hard-wiring. Its design features smart key security in an elegant satin nickel finish. This finish complements well with that of various other compatible doors. The pack includes an adapter ring, interior assembly, exterior assembly, two keys, strike, mounting plate, installation hardware, installation guide, a SmartKey tool, 4 AA batteries, and latch.
- The command transmitted from your connected phone is communicated to the Home Connect lock through a combination of your smart home system and WiFi router.
- It comes with up to 30 programmable user access codes to allow guests and family members to access the door.
- Smart Key re-key technology is implemented. You can re-key the lock in seconds through 3 simple steps.
- This lock is compatible with 1.375 inches to 2 inches.
- You can program this lock to automatically turn on your AC or heat.
Pros And Cons
2. Yale Assure Smart Z Wave Lock
Now you can unlock your door without keys, simply enter your code on the backlit keypad of the lock. You can lock your door behind you by simply pressing any of the buttons or activating auto relock. The smart touchscreen is compatible with ring alarms, Wink, Samsung SmartThings, and more.
Some of the features you can access may differ based on the Z-Wave controller. You need to use a compatible system to access smart features. The package includes a Z-Wave Plus network module, two Turnkeys, four AA batteries, mounting hardware, and instructions.
- It allows you to lock and unlock your door from anywhere by just adding the lock to any compatible Z-Wave alarm system or smart home and app.
- It can substitute your existing deadbolt within minutes on standard doors with thickness ranging from 1.75 inches to 2.25 inches with only a screwdriver.
- The included 2 physical keys assist for backup and inform you when batteries are low.
- To ensure your door always locks behind you, you can enable ‘Auto Relock’. You can disable it whenever you want from the lock menu.
Pros And Cons
3. Kwikset HC-620 Keypad Smart Z Wave Lock
The implemented Z-Wave technology in this Kwikset keypad lock features SmartKey security. It is a single-cylinder deadbolt that can be effortlessly locked or unlocked through a key or keypad from the exterior as well as a turning button from the interior.
The rich tones of the matte black finish add an exquisite touch to this lock. Due to this appealing design and ease of locking and unlocking, this Kwikset smart lock is one of the best Z wave locks. Along with the purchase, you get a strike, battery pack, latch, screws, mounting plate, 4 AA Alkaline batteries, two keys, and a SmartKey tool.
- There is support for up to 250 user codes through a 10-button keypad.
- It is compatible with Z-Wave 700 panels and hubs. Also, it can work with existing Z-Wave 500 panels and hubs.
- With a convenient re-key, this lock offers SmartKey Security.
- The network enrollment is easy through a QR code.
- This lock can replace SmartCode 888, 910, and 914 Z-Wave products.
Pros And Cons
4. SCHLAGE CEN 622 Connect Smart Z-Wave Deadbolt
Are you in the hunt for a Z-Wave lock that offers powerful battery performance, broad range, and encryption? If yes then this Schlage smart deadbolt is a perfect choice for you. It elevates your security to a superior level. It is Z-Wave Plus enabled.
You can lock or unlock irrespective of the place by connecting with compatible Z-Wave certified home automation systems. The unique Snap&Stay technology perfectly snaps the deadbolt over the door. Hence, both your hands stay free during installation. You only need a screwdriver for installation. After completing the mechanical installation, you can follow the instructions from Alexa applications to easily set up lock through the Schlage app.
- The keying mechanisms are C Keyway and 5-pin tumbler.
- With the help of a fingerprint-resistant touchscreen, this lock can share up to 30 access codes. No need to keep track of spare keys.
- This lock can pair with a Z-Wave smart home or security system such as Samsung SmartThings or Ring Alarm. Hence, it lets you lock and unlock from anywhere.
- Alexa and Google Assistant are supported for hands-free voice control.
Pros And Cons
5. Yale Assure Touchscreen Deadbolt with Z-Wave
What makes this Yale Assure touchscreen deadbolt one of the best z wave lock is it is tamper-proof. It is 100% key-free, no worries about losing keys. The oil-rubbed bronze finish presents it with an exquisite appearance.
You can smoothly unlock your door without using keys. All you need to do is enter your code on the backlit keypad of the lock. It is possible to lock the door from behind by just pressing any button or after enabling auto relock. Moreover, you can add the lock to a compatible Z-Wave alarm system or smart home and app (like Wink, Ring Alarm, SmartThings, etc.). Batteries and mounting hardware are included.
- This touchscreen deadbolt can replace your existing deadbolt on standard doors with thickness ranging from 1.375 inches to 2.25 inches.
- Strike dimensions are 1.11 x 2.75 inches.
- 9V battery terminal avoids lock out due to low or dead batteries.
- ‘Auto Relock’ can be enabled to make sure your door always locks behind you. You can disable it from the lock menu.
- This lock is compatible with Alexa through a compatible hub.
Pros And Cons
6. Kwikset SmartCode 914 Keypad Smart Z-Wave Lock
What sets this Kwikset SmartCode 914 deadbolt apart from the rest of the Z-Wave locks is it features Avalon handleset with Tustin left-handed and right-handed lever. So, it offers exceptional security in addition to the SmartKey Security. The venetian bronze finish gives it an extraordinary look.
This lock lets the user remotely check the status of the door look, lock/unlock it or obtain notifications through text or email. In the bundle pack, you get this electronic deadbolt, two Kwikset signature series tustin levers, and a Kwikset signature series avalon handle.
- It provides access to up to 30 customizable user access codes. So, friends or family members or dogwalkers, or contractors can access the door.
- SmartKey Security defends the door against advanced break-in techniques. It lets you re-key your lock in seconds.
- For voice control, this lock is compatible with Amazon Alexa.
- The compatible controller types are Amazon Alexa, Wink, Iris, and SmartThings.
Pros And Cons
7. SCHLAGE BE469ZP Connect Smart Deadbolt
SCHLAGE smart deadbolt is designed to fit standard doors with 1.375 inches to 1.75 inches door thickness and 2.375 inches to 2.75 inches backset. The built-in alarm informs you when somebody tries to meddle with the lock or large force is employed on the door. The unique snap&stay technology perfectly snaps the deadbolt over the door. It is easy to install with only a screwdriver.
- With the help of a fingerprint-resistant touchscreen, this lock lets you share up to 30 access codes. No need to keep track of spare keys.
- Keying mechanisms are 5-pin tumbler and C Keyway.
- To provide hands-free voice control, this deadbolt is compatible with the Z Wave smart home system or security system (like Ring Alarm or Samsung SmartThings) and Voice Assistant.
Pros And Cons
What Is Z Wave Lock?
Z-Wave door locks enable you to effortlessly lock or unlock your doors and view the status of the door lock. They let you set a customized entry code for a service provider or visitor and receive email or text messages whenever your door is accessed.
Z wave locks are compatible with Z-wave lock technology. Rather than directly connecting with your smartphone like Bluetooth, the Z-wave locks connect to a Z-wave hub that is connected with your smartphone. Consequently, your smartphone transmits the command to the Z-wave hub. That Z-wave hub transports the exact signals that your smart lock will identify and act accordingly.
Bluetooth comes with a limited range but Z-wave locks can respond to your signals from wherever you are. Simply place the Z-wave compatible hub within 120 feet range of the smart lock. With Z wave locks, you can access your lock from your smartphone. It is easy to permit access codes to your family members, friends, and frequent visitors from your smartphone.
How To Pick The Best Z Wave Lock?
Refrain from confusion and pick up the best Z wave lock by considering the following factors.
1. User accessible codes
Before purchasing a Z-Wave lock, you need to look at the available user-accessible codes. A lot of reliable Z-Wave locks come with up to 30 programmable user access codes. With the help of these codes, family members and guests can easily access the door. Moreover, some Z-Wave locks come with up to 250 user codes which can be customized on the included keypad.
The manner a z wave deadbolt is designed and built, as well as the material used, determine its durability. Select the z wave deadbolt that can tolerate wear, pressure, and damage. Also, make sure it has a streamlined style that fits everywhere. A busy mom or a construction worker will appreciate this product’s durability.
3. Ease of installation
To easily accomplish the installation, you need to focus on what the included accessories are. It is better to choose a Z-Wave lock packed with a screwdriver because it helps you install easily. Also, look for what mounting accessories are included.
FAQs When Picking The Best Z Wave Lock
1. What is Z-Wave?
Z-Wave is a wireless technology employed in home automation to establish communication between the devices in your home in a reliable and efficient manner. Through Z-Wave, all the smart devices in your homes can communicate with each other.
2. What is the frequency band of Z-Wave?
Z-Wave functions on a 900 MHz band that doesn’t interfere with your Wi-Fi signal. It effectively gets through walls and ceilings. The corresponding lower frequency uses less power and is found more reliable for inter-device communication.
3. What is the role of a built-in alarm in Z-Wave locks?
Many Z-Wave locks including the best Z wave lock come with the built-in alarm that informs you when anyone tries to fiddle with the lock or massive force is applied to the door.
4. How Z-Wave lock manages security between devices?
By controlling your devices locally via a controller, a Z-Wave lock can manage all integration and security between devices much more consistently. Moreover, it isolates the different types of traffic used in the home.
Once properly configured, the best Z wave lock can be remotely controlled from an all-in-one application on your smartphone. By offering you unfiltered remote access to your lock, you can always know who is entering or leaving your space. Apart from presenting exceptional security, these locks are also renowned for being responsive and offering a broad range of coverage. Usually, they come with all accessories for mounting and installation.
Enjoyed this Z wave lock review? Then be sure to check out our other guide of the Best IoT Router.