When you want to choose an air purifier for smoke, you also need to consider its efficiency against the smell of smoke. The Bissell air 400 air purifier is one of the best air purifiers with two-in-one performance, smoke and odor removal. Bissell is a company that specializes in manufacturing products, such as vacuum cleaners, steam mops, and of course, air purifiers. Their product is known for its excellent quality, and so is this product. Bissell Air400 is one of the most high-end air purifiers on the market today. Here, we will dig deep with this Bissell air400 air purifier review.
Bissell air400 Air Purifier
Filtration: 2 filter set, one is Pre-filter + HEPA, and another one is activated carbon filter
HEPA class: HEPA
Filter life: 6 months for each filter
CADR: 279 cubic meter per hour (smoke) or 160 cfm approximately
Sensor: Particle sensor PM 2.5, ambient light sensor
Coverage: 400 sq ft at 3 air changes per hour
Number of manual fan speed: 3
Automatic mode: Yes
Size: 27.24″H x 18.9″W x 12.20″D
Device weight: 26.46 lbs
Rated power: 75 W
Maximum Noise: 64 dB(A)
Voltage: 110-120 V AC 60 Hz
- Three stage filtration system includes Pre-filter, High-Efficiency filter, and activated carbon filter
- Smart Circulation System monitors air and adjusts settings accordingly
- Quiet operation
- Automated dimming mode reduces noise levels at night
- Great for larger rooms
- Fast air circulation
- Lacks of remote or app control
- High maintenance cost due to filter changes every six months
Features Of Bissell air400 Air Purifier
3 Stage Filtration
The 3-stage air filtration system is sublime. The usual HEPA and pre-filter meets the highest standards. Allergens, like pollen, pet dander, dust, and pollution, are no match for the Bissell. The 1” carbon filter goes beyond expectations. Removing pet odors, wild fire or cigarette smoke, and kitchen odors, is what this air purifier excels at.
System includes a pre-filter, a 1 inch thick activated carbon filter, and a High Efficiency Filter which captures 99. 7% of microscopic particles on silent mode including dust, pollen, smoke, and pet dander. Great for homes with pets, babies, or young children. Most ideal for those who suffer from seasonal or non-seasonal allergies or those who just want fresh, clean air in their home.
Smart Cirqulate System
Unlike other air purifiers, the air400 monitors, reports and responds to indoor air quality, providing reliable and real-time air quality readings. Uses a particle sensor to continuously monitor your indoor air, adjusts the air400’s speed of air flow accordingly, and provides real time feedback on the front digital display. No more wondering if the air purifier is working.
Powerful Performance And Thoughtful Design
When it comes to design, the Bissell Air400 Air Purifier can fit seamlessly on any style of your home with its sleekness and clean edges. The air400 is equipped with a brushless, digital DC motor for long lasting, powerful performance and pleasing fan speed sound levels.
If you want to be quieter, Bissell air400 air purifier with a high efficiency filter and circulating, the system will be perfect. Normally, it will have about 30dB of noise, but if you turn on the library mode, it will be almost silent. Library mode is ideal for not wanting to be disturbed at night, you can turn it on and off at any time as needed.
Recommend for medium to large rooms
The air400 can filter the air once every hour in 1200 sq. ft. rooms, so it’s great for bedrooms, basements, kitchens, and living areas. The Bissell air400 is best suited for bigger rooms from 300 to 400 sq.ft. It is capable of cleaning the air in rooms this large as many as 3 times an hour so those irritating, unhealthy particles will have little time to accumulate. The only issue with this air purifier is that the air intake is on the opposite side to the controls and digital display. This means that you cannot push it up close to a wall but rather must leave some space so it can work effectively.
Activated carbon filter
The air400’s activated carbon filter has a honeycomb-structure with porous carbon pellets to more effectively capture common household odors. Every air400 comes with 1 Activated Carbon filter and 1 High Efficiency plus Pre combo filter. The air400 also has a filter replacement indicator. Recommend that the filters be changed once every 6 months depending on use.
Upkeep and Maintenance
The Bissell air400 air purifier with high-efficiency filter and circulation system will be very easy to maintain because you will need to change the filter frequently. You will need to replace the filter, but spare parts are included with the purchase of the machine, which only requires you to open the back cover and they should be replaced every six months. In addition, there is a sensor on the side of the machine, you need to gently wipe with a cotton swab every two weeks to prevent the accumulation of dust and debris.
What we like about the Bissell air400:
- It is equipped with highly efficient filter with a 1” thick activated carbon.
- Can capture 99.7% of microscopic particles without stress.
- Captures all the dust, pollen and smoke particles as well as pet dander.
- Very compatible for the homes with small babies as well as young kids too and also with pets.
- Equipped with smart circulate system that uses a particle sensor to monitor the indoor air.
- The sensors automatically adjust the air400’s speed of air flow.
- Has silent mode and automatic night mode.
- Has got a small and simple front digital display which provides with real-time feedback on whether the air purifier is working or not. The air quality indicator (and its auto fan speed adjustment) is useful and interesting to see the numeric display when the dust kicks up (during vacuuming, cooking, construction).
Here are some minor things we don’t like:
- The air quality sensor doesn’t auto-adjust the speed when it’s on quiet mode (but it does on my RabbitAir). It would be better if there was a way to make it run on auto mode during the day, and quiet mode when it is dark in the room.
- The air intake is located on the side opposite from the air quality display, so you can’t back it up right next to the wall and need to leave a bit of a gap next to the wall so it can breathe. As a result, the air circulation for gathering dust is less than ideal (vs. a front facing intake).
- The fan has a wobble (not sure if this affects the function or not).
Bissell air400 Air Purifier FAQ
- Q. How often do the filters need to be replaced?
- A. Filter life varies based on runtime and existing air conditions. It is recommended to replace both the HEPA + pre-filter and the carbon filter once every six months.
- Q. Does the air400 have a night mode?
- A. Yes, the air400 has an automated night mode feature. When your room gets dark, the white lights on the top and front of the air400 turn off and the color wheel dims.
- Q. What size space does the air400 clean?
- A. The Bissell air400 can clean up to a 400-sq.-ft room. In a 400 sq.-ft room, the Bissell air400 filters the air three times every hour.
- Q. What is CADR(cfm) for the air400?
- A. Smoke 279, Dust 307, Pollen 206
- Q. how does it do with odor?
- A. Its excellent with odor. I have cats and dogs and an hour before I go bed I turn my unit on and air is crisp and clean.
- Q. Does this work for fire smoke?
- A. The air filter has a 279 CADR rating for smoke. Also, it helps with cooking smells and smoke from the kitchen.
What Should You Consider When Buying the Best Air Purifier
Real HEPA filter
It is important to understand what a HEPA filter is because basically all such products come with it. With something like this, your air purifier will be able to capture about 99.97% of particles as small as 0.3 microns. Just imagine what the fresh air you will breathe. We would recommend that you replace this filter every six months or so.
This is an important feature of all air purifiers with HEPA style filters. Usually, the pre-filter catches pet dander and a lot of dust. They can also extend the lifetime of the primary filter used by the device. The good news is that most pre-filters are reusable and washable. If you take care of them, they may last a lifetime.
Activated carbon filter
If your house often smells of smoke, food, chemicals, etc. You must need to look for equipment equipped with activated carbon filters. This type of filter can absorb gas and odor particles.
ACH / number of air changes per hour
This number shows you how many times per hour the air in the defined space is changed.
CADR / Clean Air Delivery Rate
It is important to know what CADR is because the ratio actually measures the efficiency of the air purifier. CADR takes into account the size of the room and the amount of clean air produced per minute. CADR is a standard rating developed by the Independent Association of Household Appliance Manufacturers (AHAM), which evaluates the removal rate of pollen, dust and smoke (the three most common indoor air pollutants).
You need to look for an air purifier with higher CADR allergy, because the higher the rating, the better the air purifier.
Some air purifiers will work loudly. Be sure to read the product description and other user reviews to understand how the air purifier works. Imagine if you had to listen to some buzz all day long, what a bad dream it would be.
How to maintain an air purifier
- Change or clean the filters regularly.
- Leave sufficient clearance around the purifier to avoid limiting airflow.
- Close the windows when the air purifier is running to avoid overwhelming it with a constant influx of external pollutants.
- Whenever possible, consider operating the fan in Eco mode or low speed setting to preserve energy.
- Vacuum regularly to reduce the amount of airborne particles in your room.
Overall, It is very quiet, simple to use and it is portable if you want to put it in a different room. It has a sleek design and it has a nice digital display that shows the quality of the air in your home. I recommend this air400 if you want to be able to filter a large amount of air with excellent charcoal odor filtering in a relatively compact form factor, and something quiet with night mode. Bissell air400 is one of the best to clean both smoke and odor at the same time. The name Bissell kind of speaks for itself. This is a brand that instills confidence and customer reviews reflect this. A wonderful, high-quality product any way you look at it.