Are you looking for the best whole house humidifier? If yes then this post is quite useful for you. Whole house humidifiers are one of the essential appliances to have in your home. A lot of people think that such appliances just add moisture into the air. However, they also provide tons of health benefits. If you are facing issues due to dry air in your home or due to dry climate then setting up a humidifier solves this issue.
A humidifier is your best bet against the adverse effects of dry air. It will keep enough humidity in the air to keep you naturally hydrated and fresh. Humidifiers can be for one single room or there can be whole house humidifier, aka central humidifier. It is attached to the air inlet and outlet pipes of your house and effectively covers your entire house. Herein, we will look at some of the best whole house humidifiers in 2021 and discuss their specifications, features, and performance.
List of The Best Whole House Humidifier
How Does Whole House Humidifier Work?
A humidifier disperses water vapors or steam in the air to offset the dryness in the atmosphere. Nearly all humidifiers hold water in their tanks. They use filters, ultraviolet rays, and other methods to cleanse this water and then disperse it in the form of vapors or steam. This is the basic working mechanism of this device.
Whole house humidifiers are quite efficient as they are designed to add moisture to the air in spaces with an area of 2,000 sq. ft. or larger. These appliances minimize dry skin problems, skin allergies, furniture degradation, and many more. Now, check out the thorough reviews of the best whole house humidifier in 2021 below.
Aprilaire is an American company that has created a name for itself in the field of humidifiers and domestic evaporative systems. This model has two variants: 700 (auto) and 700M (manual). It works in conjunction with the already installed heating and cooling system of your house. It’s powerful fan directly sucks in hot air from the furnace, moisturizes it, and distributes it. In one day, it can deliver 18 gallons of moisture. Let’s have a look at its key technical specs below.
- Total Weight: 22 lbs.
- Dimensions: Height = 18 inches Width = 15.906 inches Depth = 10.344 inches
- Amperes: 0.8
- Voltage: 110-120V
- Humidifier type: HVAC/Duct type
- Moisture capacity: 18 gallons per day (GPD)
- It is backed by a 5-years warranty by the company.
- It is ideal for a home of up to 4,200 square feet with a tightly-sealed setup, 2,100 square feet with an average-sealed setup, and 1,050 square feet with a loosely-sealed setup.
- It has two variants; Model 700 has both automatic and manual control options, while Model 700M has a manual control set up.
- It can maintain humidity to the optimal level of 35-40%. This level is ideal in controlling respiratory and airborne diseases.
- The ideal level of humidity is not only good for your health but it will also protect your furniture, flooring, furnishing, and other equipment from slow decay and damage.
- It lets you know through an indicator when it is time to change the water panel. Ideally, it should be changed twice every season.
- The healthy humidity level will make you feel warmer during the cold winters and help in reducing your energy bills.
Pros And Cons
Next on our list of whole-house humidifiers is this model from the company Honeywell home. This flow-through powered humidifier is very easy to install and operate. It will attach directly to your furnace’s ductwork and requires no elaborate installation procedure. It requires little to no maintenance especially compared to its portable counterparts. It is efficient, reliable, and of good quality. Here are its top specs.
- Total weight: 18 lbs.
- Dimensions: Height = 15.25 inches Length = 14 inches Width = 10.25 inches
- Voltage: 120 V
- Humidifier type: Fan-powered
- It can cover an area of up to 4,200 square feet.
- It is easy to install and has variable speeds.
- It is almost maintenance-free, thanks to the flow-through design.
- It comes with a 5-years warranty.
- The humidity is delivered using your already installed ductwork through the powerful fan.
- Set the humidity level using the humidistat and let it handle it from there. The humidifier will maintain the humidity level on its own turning on and off as needed.
Pros And Cons
Another great product from Aprilaire. This humidifier is based on electrodes technology. It is again, a very simple model to install, operate, and maintain. The electrodes are immersed in water in a separate replaceable container, the electric current runs between them, and the resistance of the water to the electric current heats it. At the end of the season, you have to replace the container. No need to purify the water or any other sort of cleaning required. Just change the container and you are good to go for another season. Here are the top specs of this model;
- Total weight: 24.5 lbs.
- Dimensions: Height = 21 inches Width = 11 inches Length = 8 inches
- Moisture capacity: 11.5-34.6 gallons per day
- Controls: Automatic
- It can cover an area of up to 6,200 square feet.
- The electrode technology used in it minimizes the operating and running cost. Water filtration is not needed as the impurities in water are required to transfer electricity.
- It is compact, lightweight, easy to install, and operate.
- The functions are automated. Dual sensors are installed in it to monitor both the outside temperature and inside humidity levels. Set it to your desired level and let it run on its own.
Pros And Cons
Aircare 826000 is a great whole house humidifier. Not only it has a presentable look, but it also does a pretty neat job of purifying and humidifying your atmosphere. It sucks in the dry air from the top which is then passed through the evaporative wick inside the water reservoir. The air is then let out through the top leaving any impurities, specks, dust, suspended pollutants in the wick.
- Total weight: 15.2 lbs.
- Dimensions: Height = 22 inches Width = 13 inches Depth = 17.75 inches
- Moisture capacity: 7.22 gallons per day
- Power consumption: 70 watts
- Controls: Analog/manual
- It has a humidifying capacity of up to 2300 square feet.
- Its tank has a capacity of 6 gallons and once full, it can go on for 70 hours.
- When it is time the indicator will let you know about refilling water.
- The humidistat is adjustable.
- It has got 2 fan speeds with analog controls.
- It comes with a 2-year limited guarantee.
- Easy to carry and lightweight with an appealing design and shape.
- Easy to fill in the water tank through the top.
Pros And Cons
This automatic furnace humidifier from Aprilaire is one of the best whole house humidifiers on this list due to its tons of extraordinary features. It is designed in a compact size to save space. Despite being compact, it offers excellent airflow that makes it suitable for large homes. With the setup of this appliance, your home will retain optimal humidity.
Gradually, with this humidifier, you will find a reduction in the odds of asthma, allergies, and respiratory infections. This is because the humidifier minimizes the generation of bacteria, viruses, fungi, and dust mites. You will feel quite comfortable with the retention of optimal humidity. Also, this humidifier preserves those items in your home that are prone to damage from changing humidity conditions.
- Aprilaire 500 provides full coverage up to 3,000 square feet.
- It comes with 12 gallons per day capacity.
- Airflow capacity is 200.0 cubic feet per minute.
- Included dual sensors monitor and revert to outdoor temperature as well as indoor relative humidity. So, it conveys optimum humidity throughout the day, 24/7.
- The bright digital control displays humidity percentage. The lights on the display indicate that humidifier is running.
Pros And Cons
For houses with an area of up to 2,400 sq. ft., this pedestal-style humidifier is a great choice. It works like a table and consists of all features that retain optimum humidity levels in your home. The inclusion of an attractive top surface makes sure you can use the appliance as a furniture piece. This functionality implies that this humidifier is versatile.
The working of this humidifier shows the addition of moisture to the environment by the movement of dry air via a saturated wick. In addition to humidity retention, it controls the odds of allergies and flu. Retention of humidity level solves issues like skin dehydration, dry eyes, and sore throat.
- The built-in digital humidistat automatically retains your desired humidity level with excellent digital accuracy.
- It allows selecting your ideal performance level with 9 fan speeds.
- Once the desired humidity level is reached or when the humidifier is empty, it automatically shuts off. So, it conserves energy.
- Its digital readout shows humidity level, fan speed, and desired humidity level.
- The embedded tile can be substituted with any standard 12″ x 12″ tile to complement your room’s decor.
Pros And Cons
AIRCARE MA0800 is a console-styled whole house humidifier. The included digital controls let you use it quite effectively and effortlessly. Essentially, it is an evaporative type humidifier that automatically maintains the desired humidity level in your home. Auto Humidistat is the key component responsible for automatic retention of the humidity level.
The removable tank contains a unique spring valve. Hence, you need not use a cap; simply press and fill the water bottle. The output rate of this humidifier is quite impressive. Moreover, the entire operation is quiet. It works on a 120V power supply.
- 3 fan speeds and an auto setting let the fan automatically adjust the airflow according to the chosen humidity level.
- The 3-speed motor comes with a quiet nighttime setting.
- After the desired humidity level is attained or once it is vacant, it t shuts off automatically.
- The digital display constantly shows the level of humidity in the room.
- Indicators are available to check filter and water refill status.
- Water storage capacity of 3.6 gallons makes sure you don’t need to refill it frequently. Also, it simplifies the movement of the humidifier wherever you need it.
Pros And Cons
Continuing our list of whole-home humidifiers we now feature this particular model by Vornado. It is again an evaporative humidifier. The thing we evaporative humidifiers is that they do not let too much moisture circulate in the air. It has a large fan that pulls in dry air, humidifies it using the two filters, that operate on the company’s signature vortex technology, and then releases the air back in the room. Its control panel is easy to use and understand and sports a manual, built-in humidistat.
- Total weight: 9 pounds
- Dimensions: Height = 13.5 inches Depth = 19.5 inches Width = 10.5 inches
- Voltage: 120V
- Watts: 43
- Moisture capacity: 4 gallons per day
- Controls: Mechanical
- The product comes with a comprehensive guarantee of 5 years.
- It can humidify a space of up to 1000 square feet.
- You can choose a three fan speed option starting from low and going to high with the medium in between the two.
- It has got two water tanks, with a combined capacity of 4 gallons. Both the tanks are detachable and easy to fill.
- You can also adjust the level of humidity as per your liking and once it is achieved it turns off automatically.
- It is easy to clean, maintain, operate, and carry around.
Pros And Cons
An efficient and reliable humidifier with some unique and useful design features. Ultrasonic humidifiers produce a very light and fine mist that quickly distributes humidity in the air. These models have a transducer installed in them that vibrates the water at ultrasonic speed to break its molecules and produce fine, pure, and fresh mist. It will purify and cleanse the air of your room in no time and you will feel it. The design is modern and has a contemporary touch. It’s lightweight and compact and you can place it anywhere you like. It’s a medical-grade humidifier and will provide you relief against allergies, nasal ailments, coughing, etc.
- Total weight: 3.94 lbs.
- Dimensions: Height = 15.3 inches Width = 8.7 inches Depth = 8.6 inches
- It’s made with convenience in mind. The top-fill design is evidence of that. It is very easy to fill and refill the tank.
- The tank has a capacity of 6L and is large enough to last for 2 days with a non-stop run.
- A unique feature of this model is the nozzle on top that has a 360-degree rotation cycle. This way the entire area gets evenly covered by the humidifier.
- You can adjust the humidity with three levels; low, medium, and high.
- You can also operate it via remote control.
- It operates very silently. You can turn on the sleep mode for night and enjoy a peaceful sleep without any disturbance. Its noise level is less than 30 decibels which are almost negligible.
- A medical-grade stone filter is fitted inside it. This filter purifies the air and removes dirt, germs, specks of dust, and any other harmful irritant from the air and gives off a very pure air that is healthy for you.
- All the information is displayed on a multipurpose LED display. It is easy to read and follow.
- It will keep the humidity at an optimum level of 43%.
Pros And Cons
This humidifier by Holmes is another great product to keep your air moisturized and humid. It has an easy mechanism to operate and maintain. It has an effective coverage and easy to carry around. It works on the same principle that other humidifiers use, water is passed through a filter and the purified air is then diffused in the room. The following are some of its important specs.
- Total weight: 15.25 lbs.
- Dimensions: Height = 13.7 inches Length = 19.5 inches Width = 19.3 inches
- Voltage: 120 V
- Ampere: 1.8
- It is good enough to cover an area of up to 2000 square feet. So it is ideal for large rooms, offices, etc. You do not have to buy more than one humidifier if the room is big, this one would effectively do the job.
- It is very easy to clean or change the filter. Just open the front door, pull out the filter, and do the needful.
- The filter itself is triple-layered for maximum effect and protection. It is treated with Arm & Hammer™ baking soda, anti-microbial, and Carbon X. It not only removes the air from impurities but also absorbs and removes undesirable odor and smell from the atmosphere.
- When the filter needs replacement, an indicator light will blink prompting you to replace the filter.
- It can run for 24 hours continuously.
- The company provides a one-year limited warranty on the product.
- The humidistat is digital and is adjustable according to your needs.
- It operates at zero noise level. You can turn it on and comfortably go to sleep.
Pros And Cons
How To Pick The Best Whole House Humidifier?
Once you get aware of the factors to consider, you can easily pick the most suitable whole house humidifier. Let’s get into more details on how to pick it.
1. Types of Whole House Humidifier
There are 3 major types of these appliances, they are evaporative, steam, and self-contained.
i. Evaporative humidifiers
An evaporative humidifier adds enough moisture to the dry, warm air blowing out of a furnace. For constant water supply to a humidifier pad, it uses a direct water line. Whenever the warm furnace air passes through the wet pad, it evaporates the water and soaks it up. Evaporative humidifiers are further classified into the following types.
Bypass humidifiers: They redirect furnace air via a bypass duct. The circumvented air passes through the humidifier pad to collect moisture before it gets dispersed in the entire home.
Powered humidifiers: They contain a fan that pulls water over the humidifier pad. The same facilitates the efficient distribution of moisture within the air compared to a bypass type.
ii. Steam humidifiers
These types of humidifiers store water within a canister. Whenever low humidity is detected, the steam humidifier boils the collected water into steam through electricity. The steam is then dispersed in a furnace duct system.
iii. Self-contained humidifiers
If you don’t possess ductwork, these types of humidifiers can precisely moisturize your home. Their operation is not dependent on any furnace system. The contained fan circulates humidified air.
2. Size of Whole House Humidifier
When choosing the best whole house humidifier based on size, you need to consider two key factors. They are available space in the home and the building envelope. Make sure to first assess the area of the space where you want to set up a whole house humidifier. Certain whole house humidifiers are designed to humidify a space with an area of 6,000 sq. ft. or even more. Hence, for a spacious home, make sure to buy a whole house humidifier with large coverage.
Another key factor is the building envelope. Analyze how drafty your home is. Typically, older houses were constructed less efficiently and they lost air more quickly than modern houses. If your house is older then buy a whole house humidifier that offers efficient airflow.
3. Ease of Use
Certain whole house humidifiers are more difficult to set up than others. You may come across some humidifiers that just need plugging in to the wall whereas others need professional installation. Also, you need to consider the size of the water tank of the humidifier and how frequently it needs refilling.
4. Additional Features
Considering some additional features let you operate the humidifier quite conveniently. One of the additional features you can consider is the programming feature on the easy-to-read display. Another additional feature is the inclusion of permanent memory. It makes sure the setting you programmed gets saved and can be accessed even if there is a power failure in the home.
Every whole house humidifier requires periodic maintenance to let it continue working efficiently without compromising on durability. Before buying a whole house humidifier, check whether it would need the replacement of any accessories during the maintenance or after a specific period. Also, note the level of difficulty of the periodic maintenance.
Frequently Asked Questions When Picking The Best Whole House Humidifier
1. How do whole house humidifiers work?
Whole house humidifiers typically hook up to a heating or cooling system or your house. For water supply, they use household plumbing. Whenever the air passes over the humidifier, it collects water and directs that added vapor into your home via the air ducts. Consequently, it maintains proper humidification in the environment of your home.
2. Whole house humidifiers tackle with which health issues?
These appliances provide you relief against dry lips, skin itchiness, blistering skin, dry coughs, nosebleeds, sinuses, snoring, allergies, asthma, and flu.
3. Do whole house humidifiers lead to the growth of mold and mildew?
By maintaining optimal levels of your indoor humidity, these appliances avoid the growth of mold and mildew that flourish in high-moisture environments. After the desired level is attained, they turn off to avoid the addition of excess moisture into the air.
A whole house humidifier is a good investment for your home and office. It will keep you refreshed, hydrated, and safe during the winters. If you or anyone around you suffer from any nasal or respiratory diseases or allergies then a humidifier is recommended for you. Houses with pets should also consider buying one. Besides your health, the best whole house humidifier will protect your wooden furniture, window frames, floorings, furnishing, and other such items.
We hope you will find this list of the best whole house humidifier in 2021 helpful and informative. Maintaining appropriate humidification in your house is easy with any of these whole house humidifiers. They are efficient, easy to use and provide various health benefits too. If you want to buy yourself a new humidifier you can use this article as a reference.
Enjoyed this? Then be sure to check out our other guide of the best furnace humidifier.