A humidifier is your best bet against the adverse effects of dry winters. It will keep enough humidity in the air to keep you naturally hydrated and fresh. Humidifiers can be for one single room or there can be whole house humidifier; aka central humidifier. It is attached to the air inlet and outlet pipes of your house and effectively covers your entire house. Herein, we will look at 7 of the best whole-house humidifiers and discuss their specifications, features, and performance.
How Do Whole House Humidifier Work?
A humidifier disperses water vapors or steam in the air to offset the dryness in the atmosphere. Nearly all humidifiers hold water in their tanks. They use filters, ultraviolet rays, and other methods to cleanse this water and then disperse it in the form of vapors or steam. This is the basic working mechanism of this device. Now, let us start on our list of best whole house humidifiers. The list is ranked randomly and does not indicate the preference by way of numbers.
Aprilaire is an American company that has created a name for itself in the field of humidifiers and domestic evaporative systems. This model has two variants; 700 (auto) and 700M (manual). It works in conjunction with the already installed heating and cooling system of your house. It’s powerful fan directly sucks in hot air from the furnace, moisturizes it, and distributes it. In one day, it can deliver 18 gallons of moisture. Let’s have a look at its key technical specs below.
- Total Weight: 22 lbs.
- Dimensions: Height = 18 inches Width = 15.906 inches Depth = 10.344 inches
- Amperes: 0.8
- Voltage: 110-120V
- Humidifier type: HVAC/Duct type
- Moisture capacity: 18 gallons per day (GPD)
Let us now highlight some of its important features.
- It is backed by a 5-years warranty by the company.
- It is ideal for a home of up to 4,200 square feet with a tightly-sealed setup, 2,100 square feet with an average-sealed setup, and 1,050 square feet with a loosely-sealed setup.
- It has two variants; Model 700 has both automatic and manual control options, while Model 700M has a manual control set up.
- It can maintain humidity to the optimal level of 35-40%. This level is ideal in controlling respiratory and airborne diseases.
- The ideal level of humidity is not only good for your health but it will also protect your furniture, flooring, furnishing, and other equipment from slow decay and damage.
- It lets you know through an indicator when it is time to change the water panel. Ideally, it should be changed twice every season.
- The healthy humidity level will make you feel warmer during the cold winters and help in reducing your energy bills.
We will now present to you some of its good and some not so good points.
- Wide coverage
- Long warranty
- Reliable performance
- Manual and automatic variants
- Easy to operate
- Minimal use of water
- Not very economical
- Requires expert’s help for changing the water panel
Next on our list of whole-house humidifiers is this model from the company Honeywell home. This flow-through powered humidifier is very easy to install and operate. It will attach directly to your furnace’s ductwork and requires no elaborate installation procedure. It requires little to no maintenance especially compared to its portable counterparts. It is efficient, reliable, and of good quality. Here are its top specs;
- Total weight: 18 lbs.
- Dimensions: Height = 15.25 inches Length = 14 inches Width = 10.25 inches
- Voltage: 120 V
- Humidifier type: Fan-powered
We will now throw light on some of its key features.
- It can cover an area of up to 4,200 square feet.
- It is easy to install and has variable speeds.
- It is almost maintenance-free, thanks to the flow-through design.
- It comes with a 5-years warranty.
- The humidity is delivered using your already installed ductwork through the powerful fan.
- Set the humidity level using the humidistat and let it handle it from there. The humidifier will maintain the humidity level on its own turning on and off as needed.
Following are some of its good and not so good points.
- Wide coverage
- Easy installation
- Flow-through design
- Adjustable humidistat
- High price
- Installation kit has to be purchased separately
Another great product from Aprilaire. This humidifier is based on electrodes technology. It is again, a very simple model to install, operate, and maintain. The electrodes are immersed in water in a separate replaceable container, the electric current runs between them, and the resistance of the water to the electric current heats it. At the end of the season, you have to replace the container. No need to purify the water or any other sort of cleaning required. Just change the container and you are good to go for another season. Here are the top specs of this model;
- Total weight: 24.5 lbs.
- Dimensions: Height = 21 inches Width = 11 inches Length = 8 inches
- Moisture capacity: 11.5-34.6 gallons per day
- Controls: Automatic
We now present some of its stand-out features below.
- It can cover an area of up to 6,200 square feet.
- The electrode technology used in it minimizes the operating and running cost. Water filtration is not needed as the impurities in water are required to transfer electricity.
- It is compact, lightweight, easy to install, and operate.
- The functions are automated. Dual sensors are installed in it to monitor both the outside temperature and inside humidity levels. Set it to your desired level and let it run on its own.
Here are some of its good and not so good points.
- Powerful performance
- Maximum usage of water
- Wide coverage
- Can work with both hard and soft water
- Cannot be mounted just about anywhere
- Complicated warranty terms
Aircare 826000 is a great whole house humidifier. Not only it has a presentable look, but it also does a pretty neat job of purifying and humidifying your atmosphere. It sucks in the dry air from the top which is then passed through the evaporative wick inside the water reservoir. The air is then let out through the top leaving any impurities, specks, dust, suspended pollutants in the wick.
Here are the top technical specs of this model.
- Total weight: 15.2 lbs.
- Dimensions: Height = 22 inches Width = 13 inches Depth = 17.75 inches
- Moisture capacity: 7.22 gallons per day
- Power consumption: 70 watts
- Controls: Analog/manual
Here are some of the notable features of this product.
- It has a humidifying capacity of up to 2300 square feet.
- Its tank has a capacity of 6 gallons and once full, it can go on for 70 hours.
- When it is time the indicator will let you know about refilling water.
- The humidistat is adjustable.
- It has got 2 fan speeds with analog controls.
- It comes with a 2-year limited guarantee.
- Easy to carry and lightweight with an appealing design and shape.
- Easy to fill in the water tank through the top.
Here are the pros and cons of this particular model.
- Top-filling tank
- Water refill indicator
- Filter with microbial features
- Adjustable humidistat
- Recurring cost of filter replacement
- No automatic controls
Continuing our list of whole-home humidifiers we now feature this particular model by Vornado. It is again an evaporative humidifier. The thing we evaporative humidifiers is that they do not let too much moisture circulate in the air. It has a large fan that pulls in dry air, humidifies it using the two filters, that operate on the company’s signature vortex technology, and then releases the air back in the room. Its control panel is easy to use and understand and sports a manual, built-in humidistat.
Here are the important specs of this model below.
- Total weight: 9 pounds
- Dimensions: Height = 13.5 inches Depth = 19.5 inches Width = 10.5 inches
- Voltage: 120V
- Watts: 43
- Moisture capacity: 4 gallons per day
- Controls: Mechanical
The following are the important features of this model.
- The product comes with a comprehensive guarantee of 5 years.
- It can humidify a space of up to 1000 square feet.
- You can choose a three fan speed option starting from low and going to high with the medium in between the two.
- It has got two water tanks, with a combined capacity of 4 gallons. Both the tanks are detachable and easy to fill.
- You can also adjust the level of humidity as per your liking and once it is achieved it turns off automatically.
- It is easy to clean, maintain, operate, and carry around.
Let us now look at some of its pros and cons.
- Wide coverage
- Great performance
- Silent operation
- Easy to install and maintain
- Big in size
- Limited speed options
An efficient and reliable humidifier with some unique and useful design features. Ultrasonic humidifiers produce a very light and fine mist that quickly distributes humidity in the air. These models have a transducer installed in them that vibrates the water at ultrasonic speed to break its molecules and produce fine, pure, and fresh mist. It will purify and cleanse the air of your room in no time and you will feel it. The design is modern and has a contemporary touch. It’s lightweight and compact and you can place it anywhere you like. It’s a medical-grade humidifier and will provide you relief against allergies, nasal ailments, coughing, etc.
Its top specs can be summarized as follows.
- Total weight: 3.94 lbs.
- Dimensions: Height = 15.3 inches Width = 8.7 inches Depth = 8.6 inches
We now give you some of the main features of this model.
- It’s made with convenience in mind. The top-fill design is evidence of that. It is very easy to fill and refill the tank.
- The tank has a capacity of 6L and is large enough to last for 2 days with a non-stop run.
- A unique feature of this model is the nozzle on top that has a 360-degree rotation cycle. This way the entire area gets evenly covered by the humidifier.
- You can adjust the humidity with three levels; low, medium, and high.
- You can also operate it via remote control.
- It operates very silently. You can turn on the sleep mode for night and enjoy a peaceful sleep without any disturbance. Its noise level is less than 30 decibels which are almost negligible.
- A medical-grade stone filter is fitted inside it. This filter purifies the air and removes dirt, germs, specks of dust, and any other harmful irritant from the air and gives off a very pure air that is healthy for you.
- All the information is displayed on a multipurpose LED display. It is easy to read and follow.
- It will keep the humidity at an optimum level of 43%.
We now summarize the pros and cons of this model below.
- Adjustable humidity level
- Quiet operation
- Customizable mist level
- Long lasting operation
- Easy to clean
- Easy to fill
- Vague instructions on installing
This humidifier by Holmes is another great product to keep your air moisturized and humid. It has an easy mechanism to operate and maintain. It has an effective coverage and easy to carry around. It works on the same principle that other humidifiers use; water is passed through a filter and the purified air is then diffused in the room. The following are some of its important specs;
- Total weight: 15.25 lbs.
- Dimensions: Height = 13.7 inches Length = 19.5 inches Width = 19.3 inches
- Voltage: 120 V
- Ampere: 1.8
The important features of this model are as follows.
- It is good enough to cover an area of up to 2000 square feet. So it is ideal for large rooms, offices, etc. You do not have to buy more than one humidifier if the room is big, this one would effectively do the job.
- It is very easy to clean or change the filter. Just open the front door, pull out the filter, and do the needful.
- The filter itself is triple-layered for maximum effect and protection. It is treated with Arm & Hammer™ baking soda, anti-microbial, and Carbon X. It not only removes the air from impurities but also absorbs and removes undesirable odor and smell from the atmosphere.
- When the filter needs replacement, an indicator light will blink prompting you to replace the filter.
- It can run for 24 hours continuously.
- The company provides a one-year limited warranty on the product.
- The humidistat is digital and is adjustable according to your needs.
- It operates at zero noise level. You can turn it on and comfortably go to sleep.
We now present to you some of the good and not so good things about this model.
- Triple layered filter
- Large tank
- Easy to operate and maintain
- Indicator light for filter change
- Ideal for small or medium spaces
- Limited warranty
- Built quality is cheap
A whole house humidifier is a good investment for your home and office. It will keep you refreshed, hydrated, and safe during the winters. If you or anyone around you suffer from any nasal or respiratory diseases or allergies than a humidifier is recommended for you. Houses with pets should also consider buying one. Besides your health, the best whole house humidifier will protect your wooden furniture, window frames, floorings, furnishing, and other such items. We hope you will find this list of the best whole house humidifiers helpful and informative. If you want to buy yourself a new humidifier you can use this article as a reference.