When it comes to industrial control, the most prominent aspect is the communication standard. Industrial switches are designed to fulfill the communication needs of industrial applications. They present a cost-effective industrial Ethernet communications solution, alternate names of these switches are industrial ethernet switches or industrial gigabit switches. The network standard and industrial features adopted in the best industrial switch leads to its extensive use, at an affordable price.
Certainly, these industrial switches are well-known for their outstanding switching capacity of up to 20 Gbps. Moreover, these switches come with a lifecycle of 10 years or more. From dozens of choices available, the following selection helps you get the best industrial switch in 2021.
List of The Best Industrial Switch
Check out the thorough reviews of the best industrial switch in 2021 below.
Irrespective of the extremity of the industrial environments, this industrial switch can work reliably. It is the best industrial switch on this list in terms of versatility, ability to boost performance, and safety. It is due to its hardened components and IP30 rating that it can work reliably in any environment.
Port interface highlights 5 Gigabit Ethernet ports. A detachable power connection is available for hassle-free replacement of the switch. The ability to run on a wide voltage range makes it versatile. Furthermore, it comes with a reasonable current draw. Mounting is easy with a wall mount hardware or DIN-rail. The switch complies with FCC and CE standards. For the money, this is a great Industrial switch meeting all your needs.
- The 5 Gigabit ports and hardened industrial gigabit switch offers up to 10 Gbps switching capacity.
- Dual redundant power inputs are available with overload current protection.
- The range of operating temperature is -40 to 75 ºC.
- It is an electromagnetic compliant switch with TRENDnet lifetime protection.
Pros And Cons
If you want to connect multiple devices and obtain fast data speed on each of them, this BV-Tech industrial switch is a suitable choice. It comes with 8 PoE+ Ports, a Gigabit Ethernet port, and SFP Uplink. The power budget is 96W which is enough to feed multiple devices.
You can power the industrial switch through a 48V DC power supply. The power supply, the switch, and other components are mounted on a DIN rail on an interior wall. With this mounting mechanism, you can easily detach the switch when needed. No worries about removing the screws. The rail is strong enough that the switch is perfectly secured once installed. The plug-and-play mounting system saves you time.
Instead of spending money on costly network switches from other brands, this one offers the best bang for the buck. For the price point, it offers lots of power.
- Each of the 8 PoE+ Ports gets 10/100Mpbs data speed.
- An SFP Uplink and a Gigabit Ethernet work at 10/100/1000 Mbps data speed each.
- 96W maximum power can deliver up to 30W per port.
- The maximum operating temperature is 65°C.
- The actuator type is the push button.
Pros And Cons
Power your multiple devices efficiently in any environment with this 6-port best industrial switch from TRENDnet. Being IP30 rated, it resists most external factors like dust, vibration, fall, shock, etc. Mounting is easy with mounting hardware and an integrated DIN-rail mount.
Dual redundant power inputs (RPS and Primary) are available from external power sources. You need to use an external 48W power supply to power this switch. Moreover, an output alarm relay informs you when there is an input power failure.
The TRENDnet 6-Port industrial switch is certified for information Technology (ITE) equipment (EN55022/ 24) and industrial, scientific, and medical (ISM) equipment (EN55011). TRENDnet lifetime protection is available. In the pack, you get a DIN-Rail and wall mount kit, a quick installation guide, and a removable terminal block.
- 120W of power budget can power 4 Gigabit PoE+ ports, a dedicated SFP slot, and a Shared Gigabit port (RJ-45/SFP).
- The switching capacity is up to 12 Gbps.
- The range of operating temperature is -40°C to 75°C. So, the switch can work in harsh environments.
- The switch stays protected against shock, vibration, overload current, and ESD/EMI surge.
Pros And Cons
The aforementioned WIWAV industrial switch is an Unmanaged Ethernet switch that can deliver 10/100/1000 Mbps data speed to each of its ports. With durable construction and IP30-rated housing, it can conquer the harsh demands of industrial environments. In any environment, it delivers maximum performance.
Its broad-range terminal block input provides you with the flexibility to power the switch that you want, depending on your power input source. Moreover, its ability to work in a wide operating temperature (-30°C ~ +75°C) keeps your network operating smoothly.
What makes this industrial switch exceptional is it supports auto MDI/MDIX operation and full/half-duplex auto-negotiation. Hence, you can easily and quickly connect your devices; no configuration is needed.
There will be a significant reduction in energy consumption since the switch is Energy-Efficient Ethernet rated. With reduced power consumption, the switch boosts the energy efficiency of your devices and decreases monthly expenses.
With an attached metal bracket DIN rail mounting is simplified on cabinets and equipment racks. The entire operation is safe since the switch is protected against overload and reverse connect. No concerns about damage to your devices. Ground cables and DC-jack power pigtail are included.
- For quick data transmission, each of its ports supports both 10/100/1000Mbps speed auto-negotiation and IEEE 802.3, 802.3u, 802.3x standard.
- For plug & play setup, it comes with 10/100/1000Mbps automatic MDI/MDI-X crossover.
- The power supply range it can support is 12/24/36/48V DC terminal block input
- The power consumption is less than 4W.
- This switch has passed UL, CUL, CE, PSE, FCC, REACH (SVHC), and RoHS certifications. So, it guarantees safe and reliable operation.
- Its compact design saves you time when mounting.
Pros And Cons
If you prioritize efficient power delivery and safe operation, TRENDnet 10-Port industrial switch is one of the best industrial switch for your needs. You can connect up to 8 PoE+ devices to this switch and it still provides two Gigabit ports for extra network connections.
With the integrated rugged IP30 rated enclosure, this switch can work in a harsh environment. This enclosure can resist dust, vibration, shock, heat, and cold. Moreover, due to the inclusion of metal hardened components, the switch works durably. The included grounding point protects your equipment against external electrical surges.
Setup is hassle-free with mounting hardware and DIN-Rail mount. Even after running it for several months, there is no need for a reboot. Once properly set up, it continues to work for a long period. There is no compromise on power efficiency to your devices and data transfer speed. You get a lifetime TRENDnet manufacturer warranty for this switch.
- A total of 10 ports are classified as 8 Gigabit PoE+ ports and 2 Gigabit RJ-45/SFP shared ports.
- The switching capacity is 20 Gbps.
- This switching capacity and PoE power budget of 240W provides power up to 8 Power over Ethernet devices.
- The structure of this switch features dual redundant power inputs along with an output alarm relay. This relay instantly warns you when there is an input power failure.
- The aforementioned power inputs are equipped with overload current protection.
- The range of operating temperature it can withstand is -40 – 75 °C. Thus, the switch can work in harsh environments.
- Outdoor elements it can resist are shock, vibration, cold, and heat. Also, the switch is protected against ESD/EMI/surge.
Pros And Cons
Certain industrial applications may require connecting a huge number of devices to a fast-speed network. If this is your need then you can go for this WDH-16ET-DC 16 port industrial switch. It is a 16-port unmanaged ethernet switch that delivers a data speed of 10/100Mbps to each port.
The ability to withstand a broad range of temperatures makes it perfect for warehouses and factories. Even in such harsh environments, there is no compromise in performance. With IP30-rated housing, the switch is competent enough to resist outdoor damaging elements.
It is easy to install using an attached “L” shaped metal bracket. This bracket enables a DIN rail mounting mechanism. Alternatively, you can mount the switch on equipment racks and cabinets. If you want, you can mount it on a wall.
Certifications it has passed are UL, cUL, CE, PSE, FCC, REACH (SVHC), and RoHS certifications. They ensure safe and reliable operation.
- To support rapid data transmission, every port supports IEEE 802.3, 802.3u, 802.3x standard, and 10/100Mbps speed auto-negotiation.
- 10/100Mbps automatic MDI/MDI-X crossover leads to plug & play setup.
- The switch provides full/half-duplex auto-negotiation and supports auto MDI/MDIX operation. So, it allows you to connect network devices rapidly and effortlessly. No configuration is needed.
- Being an Energy-Efficient Ethernet switch, the power consumption is low (<4W).
- The operating temperature range it can work in is -30°C ~ +75°C.
- Overload protection and reverse connect protection are implemented. So, there are no concerns about damage to your devices.
Pros And Cons
How To Pick The Best Industrial Switch?
If you are clueless on how to pick up the best industrial switch, the below section assists you with the important factors to consider.
1. Data speed
The prime reason behind buying an Industrial switch is to obtain fast data speed. This is why you must look at the data speed offered by the port of the switch. In many of these switches, you may find each port supporting 10/100/1000Mbps data speed. Some other Industrial switches come with multiple options for data speed like 10/100 Mbps or Gigabit or 10G or a combination between Gigabit and 10/100 Mbps. Depending on the type and amount of data to be transmitted, you should know what data speed fulfills the need for your project.
2. Managed or unmanaged Industrial switch
The choice for a managed or unmanaged Industrial Ethernet switch depends on the type of application. You have to determine what level of network management ability is needed for your application.
Unmanaged Industrial Ethernet switches come with easy plug-and-play connectivity. They contribute to traffic reduction on a LAN. Also, they reduce errors and enhance connection speed. Moreover, these types of switches deliver high-density or high-bandwidth industrial networking solutions through a bandwidth Gigabit fiber trunk that supports moderate bandwidth. Generally, unmanaged Industrial Ethernet switches are used for process control automation, intelligent transportation systems, security access control systems wastewater treatment, mining, etc.
Managed Industrial Ethernet switches offer high density or high bandwidth connections for plenty of industrial switching applications. Each of them comes with a sturdy DIN-rail enclosure that is IP30-rated. Also, they come with a wall mounting option.
3. Network traffic types
To make a wise purchase, it is better to decide the network traffic types. If data transmission is dependent on unicast traffic then you must focus on the use of unmanaged industrial-grade PoE switches. But if the data transmission is dependent on a combination of unicast, multicasts, and broadcast traffic then you need to consider the use of managed industrial-grade PoE switches.
4. Power per port
Once set up, the function of an Industrial switch is to deliver adequate power to each device connected to the corresponding port. So, you have to match the power needed by all the devices. Some of the topmost Industrial switches come with a 120 Watt PoE+ power budget. This power is enough to feed up to 4 Power over Ethernet devices.
It is vital to make sure that the power budget of the switch support power on all the ports. For example, if you want to connect multiple IP cameras to the network then you can use the one that can deliver approx. 15W on each port. If you want to power a temperature measuring panel or an IP face recognition device then you can choose an Industrial switch that can deliver 40W to each device.
5. Mounting mechanism
Two of the most common mounting mechanisms found in most of these switches are DIN Rail Mount or wall mounting. The choice for the same depends on your application. Identify whether your application needs a compact switch or a specific mounting format. You also need to take into account the future location of the switch and the amount of space you will be working on. Also, check whether the components should be protected against vibration, debris, or other hazards.
The choice for mounting mechanism also depends on whether you will be machine mounting the components or going to use a cabinet. Since the environments in which machine-mount devices can work are growing, the machine-mount is prominent these days.
6. Temperature requirement
Unlike the Business IT switches that work in sophisticated environments, the Industrial switches are designed to work in a rugged outdoor environment. So, you need to consider the temperature range depending on the type of application. A lot of Industrial switches including the ones discussed above work in a temperature range of -40 to 75 ºC.
An industrial switch is a perfect choice if the flexible distribution of power and huge data transfers are inevitable. Regardless of the ruggedness of the environment, the industrial switches work flawlessly for different industrial applications. The best industrial switch in 2021 is the one that provides excellent data speed, boosts the performance of the connected devices, and reduces downtime. Being safe and reliable to use, there are no odds of damage to your equipment. Most of them come in a compact design and easy mounting mechanism.
Enjoyed this? Then be sure to check out our other guide of the Best 10GB Switch.