Adventure does not have to end just because winter has arrived, thus the need for the best electric heater for RV in 2021. While you may wonder how electric heaters can fit into a recreational vehicle’s market, they can. Usually, a heater is built into the said vehicle’s HVAC system. However, you can also find a wide variety of electric heaters added to the RV for that extra winter heating.
As with any other product, you must check some factors that come into play when choosing the best electric heater for RV for you.
First, you can consider the various types of heaters:
The ceramic heater is not much different from the fan heater. However, it is faster because of its ceramic elements. It also works with fewer dangers involved.
Convection & panel
This conventional type of heater is pretty popular. It uses an electric heating panel to warm the air. It can be quite powerful, but you will have to deal with more consumption.
Of course, you are familiar with fans that blow out cool air. A fan heater is simply a heating counterpart of those fans. It can produce hot hair that can quickly warm small, enclosed places such as an RV.
Electricity heats the oil up and helps it travel to warm the columns, thus warming the rest of the RV.
Radiant & Infrared
Such a heater uses infrared heating. It usually helps spread warmth faster and only at low energy.
Aside from the above, the best electric heater for RV in 2020 should also come with the following:
- Competent heating capacity – To know whether the heater has enough power, consider it in two measurements: watts and (British Thermal Units) BTUs. It should power up with at least 1500 watts or 5000 BTUs.
- Portability – Just like the RV is recreation on the run, you want something that can offer you convenience through various features. One such feature is portability, which may allow you to wheel the heater around.
- Safety features should never be forgotten. They allow you to use the product without having to worry about something happening to you. The heating capacity should be regulated. The product should automatically shut down when it overheats. You don’t want to burn up or cause any fires.
- Remote control and customized settings should also be a priority. You should be able to manage the settings to match your needs. The electric heater should have a wide but reasonable range of heating temperatures, just as an air conditioning unit should have a suitable range of cooling temperatures. You should also have a remote control to make it easy to make those adjustments.
Here are the 7 best electric heaters for RV in 2020-2021.
If you love the NT-16SE but hate its noise, then you will love this upgraded version. It has all the perks of the previous model but without the annoying fan blades. With less vibration, you can expect less noise. It does not mean that it does away with power. This Suburban unit can heat up to 800 square feet because it runs at 16,000 BTUs. It utilizes electric ignition.
The NT-16SEQ is ductless. This property makes it easy for it to get installed. The exhaust is directed externally, thus making it safe. When there is no flame, the gas valve also closes automatically. It is a pretty safe heater to use. Not only that, but it can work on solar-powered 12 volt DC batteries. So, you can also say that this unit is environmentally friendly.
Your initial investment can be a little steep. However, if you consider its capacity to live until four decades, then you can consider that a wise purchase.
- Warms large spaces quickly
- Easy installation due to ductless feature
- Uses electric ignition
- Automatic power off when it detects no flame
- Quiet operation
- A little on the expensive side
This metal-cased electric heater looks impressive. The metal makes it look more sophisticated, but the plastic mold on the edges is practical. The plastic prevents tipping over while also serving as an insulator. In fact, the handle is also made of plastic to avoid burns.
This Broan model may be small, at 6 inches cubed, but it heats up space as expected and can be quite durable. You do have to put it in the highest setting if you want quick warming. Then, you must set it to a lower setting when you have achieved your desired temperature. Prepare to wait for a bit because the lowest setting powers up fewer plates.
Unfortunately, it has a distinctive chemical smell when used for the first few times. You may want to run it outdoors before testing it in your RV.
So, is this worth the purchase? Yes, it is. It is the safest RV heater out there because it automatically shuts down when it overheats or tips over. You do have to contend with the fan’s vibration.
- Compact and convenient
- Uses durable and appropriate materials
- Automatic shut down when tipped over
- Strong fan vibration while running
- Comes with a chemical smell the first few times you use it
- Only heats up fast when you set it at the highest setting
You may find it weird that we recommend this Lasco model as one of the best electric heaters for RV in 2020. It makes use of knobs, which seems rather quaint compared to the digital display panels you have been seeing in the competition. However, this retro design makes it easy to use for a particular group of people: older folks and vintage lovers.
This RV heater comes with high heat, low heat, and fan settings. , while the other knob is the thermostat. Both knobs are user-friendly. Encased in plastic, the heater controllers feel cool to the touch even when the unit is on.
The Lasco unit comes with a fan mode, which helps you save energy – and money – when it gets a little too warm. As for safety features, you can rest assured that it will prevent fires from overheating as it shuts down when too high temperatures are detected. It, however, does not come with a tipping safety feature. It also cannot be used in high humidity because of its ceramic element.
- Fairly affordable
- Automatic overheat shut down
- Easy to use
- Can be situated in any corner of the RV
- Does not have a tipping safety feature
- Cannot be used in high humidity
This Bovado model is small but terrible. It can heat up a whole RV in a few minutes, acting as a full furnace would. The fast-spreading heat is counteracted by its durable materials and the fact that they have high melting points. You can set it high without worrying about cooking up its parts.
Not only do the parts withstand high temperatures, but the system itself also goes on an automatic shut down when overheating. It also comes with a safety tip-over switch. It turns off when the unit falls over. What it cannot control is its noise. So, while it may not matter much if you are using it to drive around during the day, sleeping in your RV may not be as peaceful as you may think – unless you are dead tired.
This is another electric heater that makes use of old-fashioned knobs instead of digital touch screen displays. However, it is efficient in this way.
- Ceramic heating spreads the heat efficiently
- Portable and compact
- Fast heat spreader despite being small
- Automatic shutdown (when overheating or tipping over)
- Durable materials
- Noisy fan
Amazon is undoubtedly dipping into almost every market. It delivers this excellent space heater. The Amazon unit is extra sensitive when it comes to its tip-over protection. The heater will not work if not on a stable and flat surface. Heaters that do not have this feature are in danger of causing fires. Because of the heater’s sensitivity to its surface, you may not want to carpet your RV.
The electric heater comes with the most vital and most essential features, thus qualifying it for Amazon Basics. The lightweight unit can help spread warmth in small RV rooms and can be used to provide heat up to ten hours daily. You only have to shell out $20 monthly to operate this unit.
- Extra sensitive tip-over protection
- Saves you heating money
- Efficient with heating for its size
- Suitable for smaller rooms
For tiptop performance, you may need this DeLonghi model. It provides efficient heating but remains an affordable option. How does it do that? It can give warmth while using little energy. So, you get to save battery life while also powering up and heating up to 1500 watts. The article has declared that an excellent measurement of power.
As a whole, the DeLonghi’s design and construction allow it to work well as a heat conductor. It can spread warmth throughout your RV efficiently and effectively. It is also small and portable.
When you turn on the heater, it can work at its hardest without being noisy. The ComforTemp button feature is also a great addition. It makes the unit power up with less energy while achieving the optimal temperature to keep everyone comfortable in the RV.
The DeLonghi unit makes this best list because it is easy to use. You don’t need to install anything. Instead, you simply have to unbox it and connect it to start warming up the RV. It provides double support by preventing overheating while also including an anti-freeze feature.
- It comes with three heating settings
- Comes with optimal 1500 watts
- Reliable build
- Comes with safety features
- Regulates temperature, making it avoid overheating and freezing
- Easy installation
- Achieves optimal temperature while using little energy
- Not noisy
- Uneven flow of heat
Yet another reliable heater in our list is the Unique Heat 1500 Watt Copper PTC. It is an infrared space heater. Almost all the features that you can think of is included in this neat little heater.
It comes with peak heating capacity of 1500 watts and 5200 BTU. The high power, however, comes with safety features such as auto tip-over sensor and overheat shutdown protection. So while it can heat up your RV fast, it can also cool down quickly. The infrared system ensures that the humidity inside the RV is at a comfortable level. So, you can be sure that it is easy to breathe inside.
- Easy to use controls
- Packed with temperature settings
- Portable unit
- Lightweight and easy to carry
- Heats at peak capacity
- Uses infrared heating system
- Makes RV less stuffy, thus easy to breathe in
- Confusing themostat, displaying odd numbers
- Can be noisy
- Electricity guzzler
The best electric heater for RV in 2020-2021 may not be just one model, after all. Instead, it is the model that best suits your lifestyle and budget. So, instead of giving you a review of only one product, we gave you 7 units that you can choose from. All 7 heaters are generally powerful. Most have pros that outweigh the cons. We have curated the list for you to choose from. In the end, you must pick one from among the seven that you can trust with your RV and with your life.
So, yes, safety features come first. All of the above can detect overheating and provide automatic shutdown in such an event. Not all, however, come with optimal humidity settings, tip-over security, and anti-freeze. So, think about the possible needs that you may need. Are you going to have a sleepover in the RV? Consider the size of your RV, as well, when selecting the most suitable electric heater. This article has provided you with the possibilities of the best electric heater for RV. It is your turn to weigh the pros and cons of each.