With more and more devices in our homes and offices needing wired internet access, a gigabit network switch has become an essential piece of networking equipment. Gigabit switches allow you to connect multiple devices together via ethernet cables, providing each device with a high-speed 1Gbps connection. Generally, an 8 port gigabit switch is perfect for home and office where you need to set up multiple devices for a shared network along with high-speed data transfer to each of them. This buying guide will look at some of the best 8 port gigabit switches available in 2023 to help you choose the right model for your needs and budget.
A good 8 port gigabit switch will allow you to connect devices like computers, game consoles, streaming media players, network storage, security cameras and more, while providing plenty of bandwidth for smooth 4K video streaming, online gaming, video calls, file transfers and media server access. Whether you need a basic plug-and-play gigabit switch or a fully managed switch with extensive configuration options, this guide will help you find the perfect 8 port gigabit switch to upgrade your wired network connectivity.
List of The Best 8 Port Gigabit Switch
Check out the thorough reviews of the best 8 port gigabit switch in 2023 below.
For those homes and small offices looking for a reliable and affordable approach to expand their network connections, the GS308 is the perfect solution. It is the best 8 port gigabit switch in terms of reliability, ease of use, affordability, and performance. Encased in a rugged metal case, there are no worries when you use it in outdoor environments.
The hassle-free plug & play setup eliminates the need for the installation of software. Based on your preference and existing condition, you can choose the wall mount or desktop placement option. Since the entire operation is quiet, this 8 port gigabit switch is perfect for noise-sensitive environments. All the ports will prove to be functional and drive the connected device with great efficiency. It is possible to use reverse cabling.
Despite boasting a massive performance, the switch is designed in a compact size. Even in tight spaces, it can be properly installed. The switch provides you the ability to wire up to 8 devices and ensure fast speed on all of them.
- The energy-efficient design is compliant with IEEE802.3az.
- Auto-MDI/MDI feature is implemented.
- LED indicator is available on each port to precisely indicate the working status.
- Other features include non-blocking switching architecture and auto-negotiation.
- Each port shines with a green light which stays steady but flashes whenever data transfer takes place. Once the connected device is turned off, the light also turns off.
Pros And Cons
It is now effortless to enhance the reliability of network server connections with the TL-SG108 gigabit switch. For home and office networks, it enhances your work productivity and ensures great connectivity speed on all 8 ports.
You gain the flexibility to expand your network connections in various ways. Just connect it to a WiFi device like a range extender or a router. Once connected, the switch will set up reliable Internet connectivity to up to 8 connected devices.
The cutting-edge energy-efficient technology enlarges your network capacity with reduced power consumption. Also, it significantly saves money.
- Each of the connected ports will have any of these data speeds – 10,100,1000 Mbps.
- There is support for supporting Auto-Negotiation and Auto MDI or MDIX functionalities.
- IEEE 802.3X flow control offers consistent data transfer.
- Advanced software features organize your traffic based on priority. These features promise superior quality voice or video data transmission through port-based 802.1p/DSCP QoS and IGMP Snooping functionalities.
Pros And Cons
An inefficient gigabit switch may fail within a short span. If you want to stay away from such hassles then the GS108PEv3 is the best 8 port gigabit switch for the money. It assimilates all fundamental features you may expect from an 8 port gigabit switch and that too at an affordable price. The time to failure is 3 to 4 times longer than PoE or SOHO network switches.
Its footprint is quite small and discrete which is excellent for the port density. Built from quality metal, this switch promises long-lasting usage. The setup is simplified with the included rack mounting brackets. ProSAFE Lifetime Protection is included.
- Out of the 8 ports, 4 PoE ports come with a 53W total power budget.
- The switch supports 802.1Q.
- The energy-efficient design is compliant with IEEE802.3az.
- The included software boasts an easy-to-use interface that provides fundamental managed capabilities to configure, secure, and supervise your network.
- Mounting options are desktop and wall-mount placement.
Pros And Cons
The TL-SG1008P V4 offers an impeccable solution for WiFi coverage with the OMADA EAPs. Not just it excels in terms of powerful wireless connectivity but also supports smart power management. Whenever the total power consumption surpasses 55W, the intelligent power management will cut off the power of the lower priority port. Therefore, the power supply is derived from the high-priority port.
Plug & play setup implies that the switch does not demand software installation or configuration. With a view to resisting damage due to external factors, the manufacturer encased it in a durable metal case. Furthermore, the desktop/wall-mounting design is best suitable for various environments.
- The switch configuration shows 4 PoE+(802.3at/af) 10/100/1000 Mbps RJ45 ports that provide up to 30W per port.
- The total PoE power budget is 64W.
- The IEEE 802.3X flow control conveys consistent data transfer.
- For noise-sensitive applications, this switch works well because it comes in a fanless design.
- All Gigabit ports come with an auto-sensing feature.
- The switching capacity is 16 Gbps.
- Other features are auto-negotiation, auto MDI, and MDIX.
- Various types of PoE devices it can connect to are IP cameras, VoIP phones, and wireless access points.
Pros And Cons
Along with the speed of connectivity, the power fed to each of the connected devices is also important. In terms of power supply and connectivity speed, this Poe+ switch is one of the best 8 port gigabit switch from TRENDnet on this list. It is an unmanaged gigabit switch with well-built rack-mountable metal housing.
Its fanless design gets rid of energy consumption and operating noise. There is a prominent reduction in equipment costs by transmitting power and data over existing network cables. You get a rack mounting kit, a 1.8-meter long power cord, and a quick installation guide in the pack.
- All the 8 Gigabit PoE+ ports offer a switching capacity of up to 16 Gbps. With this switching capacity, the switch allows edge network installations.
- 240W PoE power budget powers a maximum of 8 Power over Ethernet devices. This much power budget can support both PoE and PoE+ devices.
- Each port gains power up to 30W.
- The switch can transmit bigger packets or Jumbo Frames (up to 9KB) for enhanced performance.
Pros And Cons
Escalate the performance of a local wired network through the LGS108 8 port gigabit switch. It is also known as a business desktop gigabit switch. It supplies 8 gigabit Ethernet auto-sensing ports with connectivity speed up to 1,000 Mbps. With this unmanaged switch, a small business can extend its local network and transmit huge files to drives, servers, and printers at gigabit speed.
Two of its prominent aspects are responsible for offering a simple and quick solution for enlarging your office network. They are plug & play convenience and auto-sensing ability of the ports. The latter automatically optimizes speed for every connected device. No need to vary the settings to obtain optimal performance.
A port status switch is available to regulate LED lights. For short cable connections, smart power is used to reduce energy wastage.
- Management of traffic on each port is simplified with Quality of Service (QoS) traffic prioritization. This feature offers an optimal user experience for real-time applications.
- The switch is compliant with iEEE 802.3az standard.
- Those ports that are no longer in use are automatically disabled and power to them is cut off.
- The sleep mode reduces power when the whole switch is inactive.
- The actuator type is the push button.
Pros And Cons
Cisco SG110D-08 network switch presents a customizable switching solution to cater to different needs of businesses. Built-in security features and fast connectivity speeds let it fall into the category of the best 8 port gigabit switch. It is a high-performance switch purposely built for small and medium-sized businesses.
Though wall mounting is not supported, the switch can perfectly sit on a desktop or a shelf. Simply make sure you place it properly on a desk. The implemented security features alleviate expensive breaches and also protect privacy.
The switch is equipped with web and mobile network management tools. These tools come with an intuitive interface. They accomplish set up in minutes and streamline ongoing operations. So, they free up valuable resources and time for productivity and growth. No need to install any software or make any configuration.
- The connectivity speed on each of the 8 ports can be 10/100/1000 Mbps.
- The 802.11ac access points enable secure Wi-Fi connectivity to multiple users in the network.
- With the strong metal housing, this switch is built to last.
- Automatic features supported are loop detection, Quality of service (QoS), and cable diagnostics
- FindIT Network Manager.
- The connector gender is female-to-male.
- With this switch, you can manage other Cisco business switches, access points, and routers from a single location.
Pros And Cons
How To Pick The Best 8 Port Gigabit Switch?
Go through the below factors and pick up the best 8 port gigabit switch fulfilling your requirements.
1. Switching capacity
The amount of internal speed a Gigabit switch can handle is determined by its switching capacity. The switching capacity is ideally the number of ports multiplied by the full-duplex speed of every port. To enable data transmission and reception at full speed to each port, it is better to get an 8-port gigabit switch with at least 16 Gbps switching capacity. This much capacity is adequate to support edge network installations.
2. PoE or non-PoE switch
These gigabit switches broadly differ from one another based on whether they are PoE or non-PoE switches. The PoE 8 port gigabit switches own the accessibility to drive electrical power as well as support network connectivity via the available ports to distinct network devices. Therefore, they are quite useful in powering wireless access points and IP phones.
Conversely, non-PoE 8 port gigabit switches are recognized as regular switches. They don’t own the ability to power Ethernet ports through electrical power. But, they don’t own the capability to facilitate wired network connectivity between a network device and a network switch.
When it comes to transmitting power supply and data simultaneously to the device, the PoE switches are better. Non-PoE switches cannot support both of them simultaneously. If you intend to transmit data and power using an existing Ethernet cable to multiple network devices then PoE 8 port Gigabit switches are better solutions. Moreover, such switches decrease cable complexity and also save on maintenance and network cost. Generally, they are widely sued for VoIP phones, IP camera systems, etc.
3. Energy-efficient switches
If you are more concerned about power consumption then you need to pick an energy-efficient 8 port gigabit switch. If you are a working professional or a gamer using the switch for hours, certainly your utility bills will be quite high. The corresponding power consumption may be astonishing and expenses may seem intolerable. If this is the case then your top priority should be to buy an 8-port Gigabit switch that is energy efficient. It saves enough energy and shut down ports that are no longer in use.
Fan-less switches are also energy efficient. You can meticulously research and pick the one that is compliant with IEEE 802.3az standard. This standard makes sure the switch saves on energy and expenses. These types of switches adapt the power of each port as per the traffic passing through for energy conservation.
4. Other considerations
When you emphasize on few additional considerations, you can obtain the maximum benefit of your purchase. You can try to get an 8-port Gigabit switch with metal housing. It protects the entire switch’s structure from external damage. Several 8 port gigabit switches come with an indicator LED on each port. It depicts whether the port is being occupied or not. For installation flexibility, you can choose a switch that supports both desktop and wall-mount placement.
FAQs When Picking The Best 8 Port Gigabit Switch
1. Do I need a gigabit switch or is a fast ethernet switch enough?
For future-proofing your network, a gigabit switch is recommended. Gigabit provides faster 1Gbps speeds compared to fast ethernet’s 100Mbps maximum.
2. What features should I look for in an 8 port gigabit switch?
Key features to consider are PoE for powering devices, VLAN support for network segmentation, port monitoring/mirroring, and reliability features like metal housing and lifetime warranty.
3. How difficult is it to set up a managed gigabit switch?
Most managed switches today have intuitive web-based interfaces that make setup and configuration quite simple, even for networking beginners. But unmanaged plug-and-play switches require no setup at all.
4. What is PoE and do I need it?
PoE allows powering of devices like security cameras and VoIP phones over the ethernet cable. If you need to connect PoE devices, ensure your switch supports it.
With so many great 8 port gigabit switch options on the market, choosing the right model for your needs may seem daunting. But by considering your budget, required features, and intended use cases, you can narrow down the choices to find the perfect switch. Our top overall pick is the TP-Link TL-SG108 due to its combination of affordability, reliability, and management options. But we’ve also covered great choices like the Netgear GS308 for a basic plug-and-play switch and the Linksys LGS108 for robust QoS control.
No matter if you just need more ethernet ports for a home office or you manage an enterprise network, one of these 8 port gigabit switches is sure to meet your connectivity and performance needs. With the ability to enable high-speed file transfers, smooth 4K streaming, lag-free gaming, and more across up to 8 wired devices, a new gigabit switch is a worthwhile investment. We hope this buyer’s guide has helped you understand the different options and narrow down the best choice to upgrade your wired network.
Enjoyed this 8 port gigabit switch review? Then be sure to check out our other guides.